Pharmaceutical Medicine in Mexico
- 42 Downloads
Pharmaceutical Medicine is a scientific medical discipline concerned with the discovery, development, evaluation, registration, monitoring and medical aspects of the marketing of medicines for the benefit of patients and the public health. This discipline has gone through an important evolution on a worldwide scale in the last 50 years. However, in Mexico and Latin America, its development has been recent and very satisfactory, both on an organizational level, as well as academically.
Pharmaceutical Medicine in Mexico has reached a level of development that must be reinforced and perfected for maintaining regional and global leadership. Mexico’s current level of development can be measured by the new empowerment of undergraduate and specialist educational programmes for those interested in Pharmaceutical Medicine at both public and private universities. Mexico is the first country in Latin America to obtain official recognition and support by one of two most renowned upper education and postgraduate institutions in the country. In addition, local associations, such as the Association of Medical Specialists in the Pharmaceutical Industry (Asociación de Mé dicos Especialistas en la Industria Farmacéutica, A.C. [AMEIFAC]), have become major drivers for the development and growth of Pharmaceutical Medicine in Mexico by performing multiple activities of relevance to the discipline. Important examples include the publishing of books and articles, organizing presentations, workshops, symposia and forums, and participating in both national and international conferences, such as the 6th Latin American Congress on Clinical Research held in Mexico City in 2009, and the 7th Latin American Congress on Clinical Research, which will be held in Sao Paolo, Brazil in late 2010. AMEIFAC also organizes important social and educational events such as bi-monthly seminars, annual meetings and a biennial congress for the entire pharmaceutical and academic arena in Mexico. Topics such as pharmacoeconomics, sustainable development and fast-tracking oncology clinical trials are only some of the many topics covered during these gatherings.
A new age of maturity and solidification of Pharmaceutical Medicine as a specialty and medical development realm in both Mexico and throughout the world is underway. Our growth and development will continue to flourish as Pharmaceutical Medicine gains increasing global recognition as a vital part of future drug, biotechnological and device development.
KeywordsPharmaceutical Industry Phenformin Pharmaceutical Medicine Regulatory Affair Official Recognition
The authors are grateful to Dr Juan Lahuerta, MD, PhD, FFPM at the Medical Department, GSK, Spain, and Chairman of the Council for Education in Pharmaceutical Medicine (CEPM). The authors are also in debt to the International Federation of Associations of Pharmaceutical Physicians (IFAPP) for the information provided, allowing them to place Mexico in the context of global Pharmaceutical Medicine, and would like to express their thanks to Dr Peter D. Stonier, Director of Education and Training at the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Medicine, Royal Colleges of Physicians in the UK for his unconditional support in the development of the specialty in Mexico and the academic activities, as well as the International Conference on Pharmaceutical Medicine (ICPM) in Cancún, Mexico in 2002. And finally, the authors would like to express their sincere gratitude to Dr Germán Novoa for providing all reference sources for the bibliography.
Vanessa Cohen-Muñoz is the Board of Director’s President for AMEIFAC and Medical Manager at GlaxoSmithKline, Mexico; Marlene Llópiz-Avilés is the Board of Director’s Secretary for AMEIFAC and Regional Director for Latin America at Venn Life Sciences Ltd; Fabián Llorens is the Regulatory Affairs and New Products Director for Mexico, Central America, Caribbean and the Andine Region at Valeant Pharmaceuticals, the Coordinator of the Pharmaceutical Medicine Specialties Programme and previously served as president of AMEIFAC; Miguel Peniche is a Consultant to the Presidency at Laboratorio Silanés and previously served as president of AMEIFAC; and Julieta Vargas is the Board of Director’s Vice President for AMEIFAC and Director of Corporative Affairs at Laboratorios Roche.
The authors have no conflicts of interest that are directly relevant to the content of this review. No sources of funding were used to assist in the preparation of this review.
- 1.Pharmaceutical Medicine. Specialties: Royal College of Physicians [online]. Available fromURL: http://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/specialties/Pharmaceutical-Medicine/Pages/Pharmaceutical-Medicine.aspx [Accessed 2010 Jun 28]
- 2.Burley DM, Clarke JM, Lasgna L, editors. Pharmaceutical medicine. 2nd ed. Boston (MA): Edward Arnold, 1993Google Scholar
- 3.Griffin JP, O’Grady J, Wells FO, editors. The textbook of pharmaceutical medicine. 2nd ed. Belfast: W and G Baird, Ltd and the The Queen’s University of Belfast, 1994Google Scholar
- 5.The Merck Group. History [online]. Available from URL: http://www.merck.de/en/company/history/history.html [Accessed 2010 Jun 28]
- 6.Pizzi RA. Memories of Mannheim. Modern Drug Discovery 2004 Apr; 7 (4): 26–6Google Scholar
- 7.Fischer EP. Selling science: the history of Boehringer Mannheim. Mannheim: Boehringer Mannheim GmbH, 1992Google Scholar
- 8.Bayer. Bayer history: the early years [online]. Available fromURL: http://www.bayer.com/en/1863-1881.aspx [Accessed 2010 Jun 28]
- 9.Hoechst company history [online]. Available from URL: http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Hoechst-AG-Company-History.html [Accessed 2010 Jun 28]
- 10.Schering company history [online]. Available from URL: http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Schering-AG-Company-History.html [Accessed 2010 Jun 28]
- 11.Boehringer Ingelheim. Corporate profile [online]. Available from URL: http://www.boehringer-ingelheim.com/corporate_profile/history.html [Accessed 2010 Jun 28]
- 12.History of Knoll Pharmaceuticals [online]. Available from URL: http://www.roanoke.edu/Chemistry/GSteehler/chem_280/Knoll_Pharmaceuticals_V_Cuba.ppt [Accessed 2010 Jun 28]
- 13.Plascencia-García M. La Industria Farmacé utica en Mé xico. Bol Soc Quim Mex 2009; 3 (1): 30–1Google Scholar
- 14.Discovery of Insulin. The discovery of insulin: a Canadian medical miracle of the 20th century [online]. Available at URL: http://www.discoveryofinsulin.com/Home.htm [Accessed 2010 Jun 28]
- 15.Islas-Pé rez V, Sánchez-Ruiz JF. Breve historia de la farmacia en Mé xico y el Mundo. Mexico City: Asociación Farmacé utica Mexicana, 1992Google Scholar
- 16.Compendium of clinical research in Latin America. First national meeting of the Association of Medical Specialists in the Pharmaceutical Industry: AMEIFAC February 1993. Mexico City: Intersystem SA de CV 1993; S.A. de C.V. 13 (1)Google Scholar
- 17.History of Hospital Infantil de Mé xico [online]. Available from URL: http://www.himfg.edu.mx/interior/el_instituto.html [Accessed 2010 Jun 28]
- 18.History of Instituto de Cardiología [online]. Available from URL: https://www.cardiologia.org.mx/contenido/el_instituto/presentacion.php [Accessed 2010 Jun 28]
- 19.History of the Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social [online]. Available from URL: http://www.imss.gob.mx/instituto/historia/el_nacimiento.htm [Accessed 2010 Jun 28]
- 20.Novoa G, Ramírez J, Ruiz J, et al. Asociación de Mé dicos Especialistas en la Industria Farmacé utica, A.C.: pasado presente y futuro. 2nd ed. Mexico City: AMEIFAC, 2005 NovGoogle Scholar
- 21.History of AMEIFAC [online]. Available from URL: http://www.ameifac.org.mx/ameifac/servlet/CtrlPagEst?str_pag=5 [Accessed 2010 Jun 28]
- 22.Llorens F, Martínez P, Novoa G. Guías Prácticas en Medicina Farmacé utica. 1st ed. Mexico City: Ciencia y Cultura Latinoamé rica, 2001Google Scholar
- 23.International Federation of Associations of Pharmaceutical Physicians [online]. Available from URL: http://www.ifapp.org/ [Accessed 2010 Jun 28]
- 24.Novoa G. El Mé dico Farmacé utico: una nueva especialidad en desarrollo. Medicina Interna de México 1998 Sep–Oct; 14: 240–2Google Scholar
- 25.UNAM. Diploma in clinical monitoring [online]. Available at URL: http://www.facmed.unam.mx/eventos/diplomados/farma/monitoreo/ [Accessed 2010 Jun 28]
- 26.UNAM. Diploma in pharmacology [online]. Available from URL: http://www.facmed.unam.mx/eventos/diplomados/farmacologia/ [Accessed 2010 Jun 28]
- 27.Instituto Polité cnico Nacional. Pharmaceutical medicine specialty program [online]. Available from URL: http://www.ipn.mx/WPS/WCM/CONNECT/IPN_HOME/IPN/ESTRUCTURA_PRINCIPAL/OFERTA_EDUCATIVA/ESPECIALIDAD_POSGRADO_/PRESENCIAL/TITULOACADEMICO_ESM_ESPECI_ME_2.HTM [Accessed 2010 Jun 28]