Recycling used automotive oil filters
- 47 Downloads
Over 400 million used automotive oil filters are discarded in the United States each year, most of which are disposed of in landfills wasting valuable resources and risking contamination of ground- and surface-water supplies. This article summarizes U.S. bureau of Mines research evaluating scrap prepared from used automotive oil filters. Experimental results show that crushed and drained oil filters have a bulk density that is higher than many typical scrap grades, a chemical analysis low in residual elements (except tin due to use of tin plate in filters), and an overall yield, oil-filter scrap to cast steel, of 76% to 85%, depending on the method used to prepare the scrap.
KeywordsHazardous Waste Ferrous Scrap Ardous Waste Toxicity Characteristic Filter Preparation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J.L. Konefes and J.A. Olson, “Motor Vehicle Oil Filter Recycling Demonstration Project,” unpublished report, Iowa Waste Reduction Center, University of Northern Iowa (1991).Google Scholar
- 2.K. Kiser, “Steel Scrap Challenges,” Scrap Processing and Recycling (March/April 1993), pp. 107–113.Google Scholar
- 3.Hazardous Waste Treatment Council vs. EPA, 861 F. 2d 270, D.C. (cir. 1988).Google Scholar
- 4.Federal Register, v. 57, No. 98 (May 20, 1992), pp. 21524-21534.Google Scholar
- 5.Federal Register, v. 57, No. 176 (September 10, 1992), pp. 41566-41586.Google Scholar
- 6.J.A. Ohlemeier, “Practical Information About Crushing Used Oil Filters,” Utility and Telephone Fleets (March/April, 1992), pp. 20–22.Google Scholar
- 7.J.A. Olson and J.A. Ohlemeier, “Motor Vehicle Oil Filter Recycling Revisited,” unpublished report, Iowa Waste Reduction Center, University of Northern Iowa (1992).Google Scholar
- 8.G.K. Griggs, Filter Manufacturers Council, Research Triangle Park, NC, private correspondence (September 21, 1993).Google Scholar
- 9.L. Theodore and J. Reynolds, Introduction to Hazardous Waste Incineration (New York: John Wiley and Sons, 1987).Google Scholar