Agrobacterium rhizogenes-mediated transformation of a high oil-producing fil a m en to us fungusUmbelopsis isabellina
- 138 Downloads
TheAgrobacterium rhizogenes-mediated transformation procedure was developed by using the hygromycin B phosphotransferase gene (hph) as a selective marker for the oil-producing fungusUmbelopsis isabellina. Different conditions were combined to increase the transformation efficiency. The highest efficiency was obtained by usingA. rhizogenes strain R105 and a vector with zygomycete promoter. Southern blot analysis demonstrated that 71 % of transformants contained random integrations of T-DNA sequences under optimal conditions. We randomly selected 115 positive transformants resistant to hygromycin to analyze the amount of total fatty acid and gamma-linolenic acid (GLA). Six transformants produced a higher amount of total fatty acids than the wild strain, and one transformant also produced a higher level of GLA than the wild strain in gas chromatography analysis. This is the first report about usingA. rhizogenes strain R105 and germinated conidia to transform successfully the recalcitrant zygomycetes and to obtain transformants with a stable phenotype.
KeywordsAgrobacterium rhizogenes-mediated transformation conidia Umbelopsis isabellina zygomycetes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ando A, Sumida Y, Negoro H, Suroto DA, Ogawa J, Sakuradani E, Shimizu S, 2009. Establishment ofAgrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation of an oleaginous fungus Mortierella alpina 1S-4 and its application for eicosapentaenoic acid-producer breeding. Appl Environ Microbiol (in press), Doi: 10.1128/AEM.00648-09.Google Scholar
- Czapek F, 1902. Untersuchungen über die Stickstoffgewinnung und Eiweißbildung der Pflanzen. Beitr Chem Physiol u Pahtol 1: 540–560.Google Scholar
- Dox AW, 1910. The intracellular enzymes ofPenicillium and Aspergillus with special references to those ofP. camenberti. US Dept Agr Bur Anim Ind Bull 120: 170.Google Scholar
- Pahl G, McKibben B, 2005. Biodiesel: growing a new energy economy. White River Junction, Vermont: Chelsea Green.Google Scholar
- Yang X-H, Sun Zh-H, Tong R-J, 2006. Optimizing culture system of Ri T-DNA transformed roots forCitrus grandis cv. Changshou Shatian You. Agric Sci China 5: 90–97.Google Scholar
- Yan Z, Chen J, 2003. Research advance on microbial oils and their exploitation and utilization. Journal of Cereals & Oils 7: 13–15.Google Scholar
- Zhang Y-H, Wei D-Sh, Xing L-J, Li M-Ch, 2008b. A modified method for isolating DNA from fungus. Microbiology 35: 466–469 (In Chinese).Google Scholar