Mapping QTLs for pre-harvest sprouting tolerance on chromosome 2D in a synthetic hexaploid wheat×common wheat cross
- 148 Downloads
Based on segregation distortion of simple sequence repeat (SSR) molecular markers, we detected a significant quantitative trait loci (QTL) for pre-harvest sprouting (PHS) tolerance on the short arm of chromosome 2D (2DS) in the extremely susceptible population of F2 progeny generated from the cross of PHS tolerant synthetic hexaploid wheat cultivar ‘RSP’ and PHS susceptible bread wheat cultivar ‘88–1643’. To identify the QTL of PHS tolerance, we constructed two SSR-based genetic maps of 2DS in 2004 and 2005. One putative QTL associated with PHS tolerance, designatedQphs.sau-2D, was identified within the marker intervalsXgwm261-Xgwm484 in 2004 and in the next year, nearly in the same position, between markerswmc112 andXgwm484. Confidence intervals based on the LOD-drop-off method ranged from 9 cM to 15.4 cM and almost completely overlapped with marker intervalXgwm261-Xgwm484. Flanking markers near this QTL could be assigned to the C-2DS1-0.33 chromosome bin, suggesting that the gene(s) controlling PHS tolerance is located in that chromosome region. The phenotypic variation explained by this QTL was about 25.73–27.50%. Genotyping of 48 F6 PHS tolerant plants derived from the cross between PHS tolerant wheat cultivar ‘RSP’ and PHS susceptible bread wheat cultivar ‘MY11’ showed that the allele ofQphs.sau-2D found in the ‘RSP’ genome may prove useful for the improvement of PHS tolerance.
KeywordsPre-harvest sprouting QTL mapping segregation distortion simple sequence repeat synthetic hexaploid wheat Triticum aestivum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Flintham JE, 2000. Different genetic components control coat imposed and embryo-imposed dormancy in wheat. Seed Sci Res 10: 43–50.Google Scholar
- Kosambi DD, 1944. The estimation of map distances from recombination values. Ann Eugen 12: 172–175.Google Scholar
- Lan XJ, Zheng YL, Liu DC, Wei YM, Yan ZH, Zhou YH, 2002. Tolerant Mechanism and Chromosome Location of Gene of Pre-harvest Sprouting Tolerance inAegilops tauschii Cosson. Sci Agri Sinica 35: 12–15.Google Scholar
- Liu DC, Lan XJ, Wang ZR, Zheng YL, Zhou YH, Yang JL, Yen C, 1998. Evaluation ofAegilops tauschii Cosson for preharvest sprouting tolerance. Genet Resour Crop Ev 45: 498–498.Google Scholar
- Olsson G, 1975. Breeding for sprouting resistance in wheat. Proc 2nd Int Wheat Conf: 108–113.Google Scholar
- Wang S, Basten CJ, Zeng ZB, 2007. Windows QTL Cartographer 2.5. Department of Statistics, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC. (http://statgen.ncsu.edu/qtlcart/WQTLCart.htm)Google Scholar
- Warner RL, Kurdna DA, Spaeth SC, Jones SS, 2000. Dormancy in white-grained mutants of Chinese Spring wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Seed Sci Res 10: 51–60.Google Scholar