Effects ofPlasmodium berghei infection on cytochromes P-450 2E1 and 3A2
- 42 Downloads
Metabolism and disposition of most drugs used to treat malaria are substantially altered in malaria infection. Few data are available that specify effects of malaria infection on drug metabolism pathways in humans or animal model systems. In this report, studies were undertaken to determine the effect ofPlasmodium berghei infection on cytochrome P-450 (CYP450) 2E1 and 3A2-mediated metabolism and enzyme expression in rat liver microsomes. Malaria infection (MAL) resulted in significant decreases in total cytochrome P-450 content (56%,P<0.05) and NADPH cytochrome P-450 reductase activity (32%,P<0.05) as compared to control (CON) rats. Chlorzoxazone 4-hydroxylase activity (CYP2E1-mediated) showed no significant difference between CON and MAL microsomes while testosterone 6-\-hydroxylase activity (CYP3A2-mediated) was reduced by 41% (P<0.05) in MAL. Enzyme kinetic studies and immunoblot analysis indicate that the loss of activity for CYP3A2 in malaria infection is due to significantly decreased CYP3A2 protein expression. The altered expression of CYP450s in malaria infection should be taken into account when treating patients with malaria in order to minimize drug-drug interactions or toxicity.
KeywordsCytochrome P-450 liver microsomes Sprague-Dawley rats malaria Western blotting isozymes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Oaks S.C., Mitchell V.S., Pearson G.W., Carpenter C.CJ. (eds) (1991): Malaria: Obstacles and Opportunities, A report of the committee for the study on malaria prevention and control: Status Review and Alternative Strategies. Division of International Health, Institute of Medicine, National Academy Press.Google Scholar
- 6.Glazier A.P., Kokwaro G.O., Edwards G. (1993): Possible isozyme-specific effects of experimental malaria withPlasmodium berghei on cytochrome P450 activity in rat liver microsomes. J. Pharm. Pharmacol., 46: 352–355.Google Scholar
- 34.Koizumi A., Hasegawa L., Rodgers K.E., Ellefson D., Walford R., Imamura T. (1986): Influence of H-2 haplotypes on poly IC induction of xanthine oxidase and poly IC induced decreases in P-450 mediated enzyme activities. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun., 138: 246–253. T. (1996): Endotoxemia in rats is associated with induction ofCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 37.Sewer M.B., Koop D.R., Morgan E the P4504A subfamily and suppression of several other forms of cytochrome P450. Drug Metab. Dispos., 24: 401-407.Google Scholar
- 39.Singh G., Renton K.W. (1984): Inhibition of the synthesis of hepatic cytochrome P-450 by the interferon-inducing agent poly rI.rCi. Can. J. Physiol. Pharmacol., 69: 379–383.Google Scholar