Pharmacokinetic and metabolic studies of busulfan in rat plasma and brain
- 61 Downloads
Busulfan kinetics were studied in the rat plasma and brain after an I.P. dose of14C-busulfan or busulfan (15 mg/kg). The distribution of busulfan to the brain was rapid and the ratio brain / plasma concentration was 0.74 during the time-course of busulfan.
The elimination half-lives in plasma and brain were 3h for intact busulfan and 8h for the14C-radioactivity. The radioactivity remaining in plasma and brain after 24h was mostly busulfan metabolites e.g. sulfolane, 3-hydroxysulfolane and tetrahydrothiophene-1-oxide as identified by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. The protein binding to rat plasma was low (9.2 +- 4.4%).
Key wordsBusulfan brain and plasma pharmacokinetics metabolites in rat brain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Parkman R., Rappeport J.M., Hellman S., Lipton J., Smith B., Geha R., Nathan D.G. (1984): Busulfan and total body irradiation as antihematopoietic stem cell agents in the preparation of patients with congenital bone marrow disorders for allogeneic bone marrow transplantation. Blood, 64, 852–857.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Deeg H.J., Sullivan K.M., Buckner C.D., Starb R., Appelbaum F.R., Clift R.A., Doney K., Sanders J.E., Witherspoon R.P., Thomas E.D. (1986): Marrow transplantation for acute nonlymphoblastic leukemia in first remission: toxicity and long-term follow-up of patients conditioned with single dose or fractionated total body irradiation. Bone Marrow Transplant., 1, 151–157.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Peng C-T. (1957): Distribution and metabolic fate of S35-labeledmyleran (busulfan) in normal and tumor-bearing rats. J. Pharmacol., 120, 229–238.Google Scholar
- 16.Ehrsson B., Lönroth U., Wallin I., Ehmebo M., Nilsson S.O. (1981): Degradation of chlorambucil in aqueous solution — influence of human albumin binding. J. Pharm. Pharmaeol., 33, 313–315.Google Scholar
- 19.Oldendorf W.H. (1983): Aspects of blood-brain barrier in clinical brain imaging. Acta Neuropathol. (Berl.) Suppl., VIII, 111–117.Google Scholar