Temporal properties of pattern adaptation of relay cells in the lateral geniculate nucleus of cats
The temporal properties of pattern adaptation of relay cells induced by repeated sinusoidal drifting grating were investigated in the dorsal lateral geniculate nucleus (dLGN) of cats. The results showed that the response amplitude declined and the response latency prolonged when relay cells were pattern-adapted in dLGN, like the similar findings in visual cortex. However, in contrast to the result in cortex, the response phase of relay cells advanced. This implies that an inhibition with relatively long latency may participate in the pattern adaptation of dLGN cells and the adaptation in dLGN may be via a mechanism different from that of visual cortex.
Keywordspattern adaptation temporal properties latency phase lateral geniculate nucleus cat
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Adorjan, P., Piepenbrock, C., Obermayer, K., Contrast adaptation and infomax in visual cortical neurons, Rev. Neurosci., 1999, 10(3–4): 181.Google Scholar
- 4.Ohzawa, I., Sclar, G., Freeman, R., Contrast gain control in the cat’s visual system, J. Neurophysiol., 1985, 54(3): 651.Google Scholar
- 8.Sanchez-Vives, M. V., Nowark, L. G., McCormick, D. A., Membrane mechanisms underlying contrast adaptation in cat area 17in vivo, J. Neurosci., 2000, 20(11): 4267.Google Scholar
- 9.Sanchez-Vives, M. V., Nowark, L. G., McCormick, D. A., Cellular mechanisms of long-lasting adaptation in visual cortical neuronsin vitro, J. Neurosci., 2000, 20(11): 4286.Google Scholar
- 10.Wang, W., Shou, T., Pattern adaptation of relay cells in the lateral geniculate nucleus of binocular and monocular vision-deprived cats, Acta Physiologica Sinica, 2000, 52(3): 230.Google Scholar
- 12.Marsh, E., Baker, R., Normal and adapted visuo-oculomotor reflexes in goldfish, J. Neurophysiol., 1997, 77(3): 1099.Google Scholar
- 13.Jia, F., Zhou, Y.F., the function of short-term synaptic plasticity, Progress in Biochemistry and Biophysics, 2000, 27(2): 174.Google Scholar