Numerical verification method of solutions for elliptic equations and its application to the Rayleigh-Bénard problem
- 48 Downloads
We first summarize the general concept of our verification method of solutions for elliptic equations. Next, as an application of our method, a survey and future works on the numerical verification method of solutions for heat convection problems known as Rayleigh-Bénard problem are described. We will give a method to verify the existence of bifurcating solutions of the two-dimensional problem and the bifurcation point itself. Finally, an extension to the three-dimensional case and future works will be described.
Key wordsnumerical verification method elliptic equations Rayleigh-Bénard problem bifurcation point
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. Bénard, Les tourbillons cellulaires dans une nappe liquide. Revue Gén. Sci. Pure Appl.,11 (1900), 1261–1271, 1309–1328.Google Scholar
- S. Chandrasekhar, Hydrodynamic and Hydromagnetic Stability. Oxford University Press, 1961.Google Scholar
- A.V. Getling, Rayleigh-Bénard Convection: Structures and Dynamics. Advanced Series in Nonlinear Dynamics,11, World Scientific, 1998.Google Scholar
- T. Nishida, T. Ikeda and H. Yoshihara, Pattern formation of heat convection problems. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Mathematical Modeling and Numerical Simulation in Continuum Mechanics, T. Miyoshi et al. (eds.), Lecture Notes in Computational Science and Engineering,19, Springer-Verlag, 2002, 155–167.Google Scholar
- J.W.S. Rayleigh, On convection currents in a horizontal layer of fluid, when the higher temperature is on the under side. Phil. Mag.,32 (1916), 529–546; Sci. Papers,6, 432–446.Google Scholar