The effect of cephalic transection on the micromorphological changes in the ventral nerve cord-neurosecretory system of earthworm,Metaphire peguana (Rosa, 1890) during anterior regeneration
- 19 Downloads
Transection of anterior 5 segments inMetaphire peguana engenders characteristic changes in the functional activity of the ventral nerve cord-neurosecretory system in the event of cephalic regeneration. Of the two types of neurosecretory cells, the moderately stained cells remain more susceptible when the cell structure, location of nucleus, amount of secretory inclusions and their transportation to the zone of accumulation are considered. Overall engorgement of neurosecretory substances refrained from axonal transport, moderate axonal flow coupled with slight depletion and finally acute depletion at 24, 48 and 72 hr after amputation respectively are some of the notable features registered in course of this investigation. Disarray in the sequential changes involved in the secretory dynamics of neurosecretory cells, as well as extent of NSM accumulation both within and outer periphery of the ganglia provide evidence for the utilisation of material through repaired vascular systems during regenerative proliferations of anterior segments.
KeywordsMetaphire peguana neurosecretory cells NSM regeneration secretory dynamics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Avel M 1929 Recherches expérimentales sur les caractères sexuals somatiques des Lumbriciens;Bull. Biol. France et Belg. 63 149–318Google Scholar
- Cameron M L and Steele J E 1959 Simplified aldehyde fuchsin staining of neurosecretory cells;Stain Tech. 34 265–266Google Scholar
- Dey M and Nanda D K 1979 Effect of posterior transection on the brain neurosecretory perikarya ofPheretima posthuma;Zool. Beitr. 25 199–204Google Scholar
- Farber P A 1965 The histological relationship between neurosecretory activity and anterior regeneration inLumbricus terrestris;Anat. Rec. 151 348 (Abs.)Google Scholar
- Herlant-Meewis H 1962 Neurosecretory phenomena during regeneration of nervous centres inEisenia foetida;Mem. Soc. Endocrinol. 12 267–274Google Scholar
- Herlant-Meewis H 1972 Le rôle du systéme nerveus dans la cicatrisation chezEisenia foetida (abst.);Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 18 596Google Scholar
- Hoar W S 1975General and Comparative Physiology (New Delhi: Prentice Hall of India Private Limited) pp 752–753Google Scholar
- Morgan T H 1902 Experimental studies of the internal factors of regeneration in the earthworm;Arch. Entw.-Mech. Org. 14 562–591Google Scholar
- Nanda D K and Chaudhuri P S 1981 Studies on the cytomorphology of the ventral nervecord of the earthworm,Pheretima posthuma with special reference to neurosecretion;J. Zool. Soc. India (in press)Google Scholar
- Nanda D K and Chaudhuri P S 1982 Regeneration of the neurosecretory system of the nerve ring in earthworm,Metaphire peguana; Acta Biol. Cracov. (in press)Google Scholar