Analysis of turbulent premixed flame structure using simultaneous PIV-OH PLIF
- 181 Downloads
In the present study, we used a simultaneous PIV-OH PLIF measurement to acquire the strain rate and the chemical intensity and suggested a new combustion phase diagram. This simultaneous measurement was used to analyze the flame structure and to classify the combustion regimes of the opposed impinging jet combustor according to the change of the orifice diameters at the pre-chambers. The shear strain rates were obtained from the velocity measurement by PIV to represent flow characteristics and the OH radical intensities were obtained from OH PUF to indicate the flame characteristics. When the strain rate and OH intensity at each point of the measurement zones are plotted at the strain rate-chemical intensity diagram, the distribution of each case showed the characteristics of each flame regime. The change of combustor condition made different distribution in the combustion phase diagram. As the orifice diameter of the pre-chamber decreases, well-mixed turbulent flames are produced and the combustion phase is moved from the moderated turbulence regime to the thickened reaction regime.
Keywordssimultaneous PIV-OH PUF opposed impinging jet combustor Borghi diagram the strain rate-chemical intensity diagram combustion phase diagram thickened reaction regime
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Borghi, R., On the Structure of Turbulent Premixed Flames, Recent Advance in Aeronautical Science (Bruno, C. & Case, C.; Eds), Pergamon, (1984).Google Scholar
- Chen, J. H. and Im, H. G., Correlation of Flame speed with Stretch in Turbulent Premixed Methane/Air Flames, Proc. Combust. Inst., 27 (1998), 819.Google Scholar
- Friedlander, S. K., Smoke, Dust, and Haze 2nd ed., Oxford New York, (2000), 222. Han, D. H and Mungal, M. G., Simultaneous Measrement of Velocity and CH Layer Distribution in Turbulent Non-Premixed Flames, Proc. Combust. Inst, 28 (2000).Google Scholar
- Kothnur, P. S, Tsurikov, M. S., Clemens, N. T., Donbar, J. M. and Carter, C. D., Planar Imaging of CH, OH and Velocity in Turbulent Nonpremixed Jet Flames, Proc. Combust. Inst., 29 (2002).Google Scholar
- Lee, H. G., Jeuug, I.-S. and Yoon, Y., An Experimental Study on NOx Reduction by the Opposed Impinging Jet Flames, The First Asia-Pacific Conference on Combustion, Osaka, Japan, May 1997.Google Scholar
- Lim, S., Yoon, Y., Lee, C. and Jeung, I. -S., Effect of Strain Rate on NOx Reduction in Opposed Impinging Jet Flame Combustor, 10th Int I Symposium on Applications of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics, Lisbon, Portugal, July 2000.Google Scholar
- Rehm, J. E. and Clemens, N. T., The Relationship Between Vorticity/Strain and Reaction Zone Structure in Turbulent Non-Premixed Jet Flames, Proc. Combust. Inst., 27 (1998), 1113.Google Scholar
- Turns, S. R.,An Introduction to Combustion, MacGraw-Hill, New York (1996).Google Scholar