Preliminary studies on the relative growth rates of three Indian major carp hybrids
- 15 Downloads
A comparative study of the growth rates of three Indian major carp hybrids, namely, catla-rohu, mrigal-catla and mrigal-rohu, was made. The results showed that the growth of catla-rohu hybrid was the fastest followed by mrigal-catla while mrigal-rohu hybrid exhibited the poorest growth rate. Compared to the growth of mrigal-rohu hybrid, the increases in weight of catla-rohu and mrigal-catla hybrids were respectively 257·58% and 110·90% more. On statistical analysis of the growth data it was seen that the growth rates of the three hybrids studied differed significantly from one another.
KeywordsGrowth rates major carp hybrids
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alikunhi K H 1957 Fish culture in India;Farm Bulletin; ICAR, New Delhi, No. 20, p 144Google Scholar
- Chaudhuri H 1959 Experiments on hybridization of Indian carps;Proc. Indian Sci. Cong. 46 20–21 (abstract)Google Scholar
- Chaudhuri H 1973 Fertility of hybrids of Indian carps and preliminary studies on theF 2 generation of carp hybrids;J. Inland Fish. Soc. India 5 195–200Google Scholar
- Chaudhuri H and Alikunhi K H 1957 Observations on the spawning in Indian major carps by hormone injection;Curr. Sci. 26 381–382Google Scholar
- Jhingran V G 1975Fish and fisheries of India (New Delhi: Hindusthan Publishing Corporation) p 974Google Scholar
- Konda Reddy P 1977Studies on the development, taxonomic characters and growth of catla-rohu and rohu-catla hybrids; M.F.Sc. thesis, Univ. Agri. Sciences, BangaloreGoogle Scholar
- Naseem Hamsa K and Alikunhi K H 1971 Preliminary studies on “upgrading”Cirrhina reba by hybridisation;J. Indian Fish. Assoc. 1 68–73Google Scholar
- Varghese T J, Keshavanath P K and Konda Reddy P 1978 Studies on fish hybrids with special reference to major carps;Seminar on the Status of Fisheries Research and Development in Karnataka, College of Fisheries, April 21–23Google Scholar
- Varghese T J and Sukumaran K K 1971 Notes on hypophysation of catla × rohu hybrid;Annual Day Souvenir, CIFE, Bombay, 16–17Google Scholar