Formation microscanner applications in the study of subsurface paleozoic carbonate rocks: Southwestern Ontario, Canada
- 51 Downloads
The Formation MicroScanner (FMS) service, introduced by Schlumberger in 1985, has been used successfully on several Trenton — Black River (Ordovician) wells in Southwestern Ontario, Canada, to aid in structural and stratigraphic interpretation.
The FMS tool, similar to the Dual Dipmeter tool, has arrays of microelectrodes added on two or all four caliper pads. The microconductivity, measured at a high sample rate, provides an oriented image displayed on a variable intensity grey scale. A colour image is also available when working on a SUN Workstation (FMS Image Examiner System).
Examples of FMS images obtained in the Trenton and Black River formations illustrate open and healed fractures, secondary porosity developments, changes in porosity, and thin bedding features. The use of these images for reservoir evaluation, completion strategies, and development drilling is discussed.
KeywordsOrdovician Stylolite Fracture Porosity Intercrystalline Porosity Michigan Basin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- BRIGHAM, R.J., 1971, Structural geology of Southwestern Ontario and Southeastern Michigan:Mines and Northern Affairs Petroleum Resources, Section 1, Paper 71-2.Google Scholar
- EKSTROM, M.P., DAHAN, C.A., CHEN, M.Y., LLOYD, P.M., and ROSSI, J., 1986,Formation imaging with microelectrical scanning arrays, Schlumberger.Google Scholar
- SANFORD, B.V., and BRADY, W.B., 1955, Paleozoic geology of the Windsor — Sarnia Area, Ontario: Geological Survey of Canada, Memoir #278.Google Scholar
- SANFORD, B.V., THOMPSON, F.J., and MCFALL, G.H., 1985, Plate tectonics — A possible controlling mechanism in the development of hydrocarbon traps in Southwestern Ontario:Bulletin of Canadian Petroleum Geology, v. 33, No. 1, pp 52–71.Google Scholar
- VARIOUS, 1986,Formation MicroScanner Service, Schlumberger Technical Services, July.Google Scholar
- VARIOUS, 1987,Log Interpretation Principles/Applications, Schlumberger Educational Services, October.Google Scholar