Semilinear elliptic equations of Matukuma-type and related topics
- 147 Downloads
We investigate the structure of solutions of some semilinear elliptic equations, which include Matukuma’s equation as a special case. It is a mathematical model proposed by Matukuma, an astrophysicist, in 1930 to describe the dynamics of a globular cluster of stars. Equations of this kind have come up both in geometry and in physics, and have been a subject of extensive studies for some time. However, almost all the methods previously developed do not seem to apply to the original Matukuma’s equation. Our results cover most of the cases left open by previous works.
Key wordssemilinear elliptic equations astrophysics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S. Chandrasekhar, An Introduction to the Study of Stellar Structure. Univ. Chicago Press, 1939.Google Scholar
- A. S. Eddington, The dynamics of a globular stellar system. Monthly Notices Royal Astronom. Soc.,75, (1915), 366–376.Google Scholar
- M. Hénon, Numerical experiments on the stability of spherical stellar systems. Astronom. and Astrophys.,24, (1973), 229–238.Google Scholar
- N. Kawano, J. Satsuma and S. Yotsutani, Existence of positive entire solutions of an Emden-type elliptic equation. Funkcial. Ekvac., to appear.Google Scholar
- T. Kusano and M. Naito, Oscillation theory of entire solutions of second order superlinear elliptic equations. Funkcial. Ekvac., to appear.Google Scholar
- T. Matukuma, Dynamics of globular clusters. Nippon Temmongakkai Yoho,1, (1930), 68–89 (In Japanese).Google Scholar
- T. Matukuma, The Cosmos. Iwanami Shoten, Tokyo, 1938 (In Japanese).Google Scholar
- W.-M. Ni, Uniqueness, nonuniqueness and related questions of nonlinear elliptic and parabolic equations. Proc. Symp. Pure Math., 45, Amer. Math. Soc., 1986, 229–241.Google Scholar
- W.-M. Ni and J. Serrin, Existence and non-existence theorems for ground states for quasilinear partial differential equations. Accad. Naz. dei Lincei,77, (1986), 231–257.Google Scholar
- N. Kawano, W.-M. Ni and S. Yotsutani, In preparation.Google Scholar