ESR investigations of burnt soil
Electron spin resonance (ESR) of transition metal ions (Mn2−, Fe3+), radiation induced centres and pyrolytically formed radicals was studied to distinguish between burnt and unburnt soil. A testfire place and samples from an archaeological site were analyzed. The concentration of radiation induced centres decreases and pyrolytically formed radicals appear in a thermal annealing experiment. The spectral pattern of iron and manganese resonances changes during the heating process. These signals are useful to estimate temperature and atmosphere of the heating event. Chemithermoluminescence (CTL) of the soil was studied and could reveal its thermal history, too.
KeywordsElectron Spin Resonance Electron Spin Resonance Spectrum Annealing Behavior Burnt Soil Electron Spin Resonance Investigation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Sunta C.M., David M.: PACT 6, 460 (1982).Google Scholar
- Warashina T., Higashimura T., Maeda Y.: Br. Mus. Occ. Pap.19, 117–128 (1981)Google Scholar
- Marfunin A.S.: Spectroscopy, Luminescence and Radiation Centers in Minerals. Berlin: Springer-Verlag 1979Google Scholar
- Schwertmann U.: Iron in Soils and Clay Minerals (Stucki J.W., Goodman B.A., Schwertmann U., eds.), series C, vol. 217. Dordrecht: NATO ASI series 1985.Google Scholar
- Morinaga H., Inokuchi H., Ikeya M., Yamashita H., Kubo H., Fujita K.: News Letter of Development of Advanced Archaeological Prospecting Methods, Scientific Research on Priority Areas14, 2–9 (1995) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Ikeya M.: New Applications of Electron Spin Resonance — Dating, Dosimetry and Microscopy. Singapore: World Scientific 1993Google Scholar
- Aitken M.J.: Thermoluminescënce Dating. London: Academic Press 1985.Google Scholar
- Bartoll J.: Diploma work, Humboldt University of Berlin, Germany 1994Google Scholar
- Scullane M.I., White L.K., Chasteen N.D.: J. Magn. Reson.47, 383–397 (1982)Google Scholar
- McBride M.B.: Instrumental Surface Analysis of Geologic Materials (Perry D.L. ed.). New York: VHC 1990.Google Scholar