Geology of Eastern Ghats in Andhra Pradesh
- 39 Downloads
The lithology, structure, metamorphism and stratigraphy of the granite gneisses, charnockite series, khondalite series and granites occurring in the Eastern Ghats of Andhra Pradesh are described. The granite gneisses consist of the garnetiferous granite gneiss, the grey granite gneiss and porphyritic granite gneiss. The charnockite series consists of granite, diorite, gabbro, norite, amphibolite and pyroxenite. The khondalite series comprises gneisses, schists, quaitzites, and granulites, metamorphosed from argillaceous, arenaceous and calcareous sediments. The granites include the pink granites and pegmatites. The formations are highly folded with thrusts and strike slip faults. The granite gneisses, charnockite series and khondalite series are metamorphosed to the granulite facies, with a few members in the amphibolite facies and occasional members in the eclogite facies. Some granite gneisses are the oldest rocks present, and others contemporaneous with charnockite series, which are themselves older than or contemporaneous with the khondalite series. The pink granites and pegmatites are the youngest rocks of the region.
KeywordsGranite Gneiss Hill Range Eastern Ghat Pink Granite Crystalline Limestone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Crookshank, H... “The western margin of Eastern Ghats in Southern Jeypore,”Rec. Geol. Surv. Ind., 1938,73(3), 398–434.Google Scholar
- Fermor, L. L... “An attempt at the correlation of the ancient schistose formations of Peninsular India,”Mem. Geol. Surv. Ind., 1936,70, 1–324.Google Scholar
- King, W. .. “Nellore portion of the Carnatic,”Ibid., 1880,16 (2).Google Scholar
- Sriramadas, A... “Granitic rocks of parts of Srikakulam District, Andhra Pradesh,”Deccan Geol. & Min. Soc., 1960,2, No. 1, 34–45.Google Scholar
- Sriramadas, A. ..Structure and Tectonics of Eastern Ghats in Srikakulam District, Andhra Pradesh. Geophysical Investigation in the Peninsular Shieds 1963, 169–75.Google Scholar
- —————.. “Archaean provinces of the coastal districts of Andhra Pradesh,”Deccan Geol. & Min. Soc., 1963,3, 25–28.Google Scholar
- -- and Raju, V. P. .. “Structural, lithological and geobotanical guides to the Manganese ores of Nellimarla, Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh,” 51st Ind. Sci. Cong., Calcutta, 1964.Google Scholar