Spectrophotometric and potentiometric investigations of copper (II)-ethanolamine complexes
- 105 Downloads
Spectrophotometric and potentiometric investigations have been carried out on copper-monoethanolamine complexes. Job plots at 920, 760 and 620 mµ have indicated the formation of CuA++, CuA2/++ and CuA3++. The\(\bar n - pA\) curves have been obtained by a slight modification of the method of corresponding solutions and by pH measurements. The\(\bar n\)vs. pA curves obtained at different metal concentrations coincide indicating the formation of mononuclear complexes. Experiments conducted with 0·1. 0·2, 0·5 and 1·0 M monoethanolammonium ion indicate the formation of mononuclear hydroxy complexes above pH 6. The nature of Emvs pA curves is closely analogous to that of\(\bar n\)vs. pA curves. Absorption spectra taken at pH 9·8 with different amounts of monoethanolamine has given evidence for the formation of (CuA3OH·A)+.\(\bar n - pA\) curves have been analyzed and the values ofβ1, 1,β1, 2 andβ1, 3 have been obtained. Curves showing the distribution of complexes and the absorption curves of the individual complexes (CuA++, CuA2/++, and CuA3/++) have been calculated.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Subrahmanya, R. S...Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci., 1957,46 A, 378.Google Scholar
- 2.Bjerrum, J. ..D. Kgl. Danske Vidensk. Selskab, Math-bys. Medd., 1944,21 (4).Google Scholar
- 3.Jorgensen, C. K. ..Absorption Spectra and Chemical Bonding in Complexes, Pergamon Press, 1962, p. 257.Google Scholar
- 4a.Martell, A. E. and Chaeberek, S.Organic Sequestering Agents, John Wiley and Sons, 1959, p. 81.Google Scholar
- 5.Srinivasan, K. and Subrahmanya, R. S. Unpublished.Google Scholar
- 6.Bjerrum, J. ..Kgl. Danske Vidensk. Selskab, Mat-fys. Medd., 1932,11, (10).Google Scholar
- 8.Irving, H. and (Mrs.) Rossotti, H. S.J. Chem. Soc., 1953, p. 3397.Google Scholar
- 9.Bjerrum, J...Metal Amine Formation in Aqueous Solution, P. Hasse and Son, Copenhagen, 1954.Google Scholar
- 10.Rossotti, and F. J. C. Rossotti, H. S.The Determination of Stability Constants, Mc Graw-Hill Book Company, Inc., 1961, p. xii.Google Scholar