Synthetic investigations in the sesamin group
Ethylα-bromovinylacetate (VII) was condensed with the sodio derivative of ethyl piperonoylacetate (VIII) to give diethylα-vinyl-α′-piperonoylsuccinate (IX). The latter on reduction with lithium aluminium hydride furnished the triol (X), which underwent smooth cyclisation with 1% ethanolic hydrogen chloride to 2-(3′, 4′-methylenedioxyphenyl)-hydroxymethyl-4-vinyltetrahydrofuran (XIa). The structure of XIa was established by Oppenauer oxidation to an aldehyde. Ozonolysis of XIa afforded samin (I).
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Rietz, E. ..Organic Syntheses, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 1944,24, 96.Google Scholar
- 9.Mannich, C...Arch. Pharm., 1935,273, 416.Google Scholar
- 10.Bruchhausen, F. V. and Gerhard, H.Ber., 1939,72, 830.Google Scholar
- 11.Perkin, W. H. Junr. and Robinson, R.Proc. Chem. Soc., 1905,21, 287.Google Scholar
- 12.Haworth, R. D. and Haslam, E.J. Chem. Soc., 1955, 827.Google Scholar
- 14.Balasubrahmanyam, S. N.J. Chem. Education, 1960, 475Google Scholar