Reactions with disulphur monoxide solutions obtained by the reduction of cupric oxide by elemental sulphur
- 9 Downloads
When the products of reaction between elemental sulphur and copper oxide at elevated temperature in vacuum are bubbled through chilled inert organic solvents like carbontetrachloride, orange-yellow solutions were obtained indicating the presence of lower oxide of sulphur. This lower oxide has been found to be disulphur monoxide as shown by three different types of reactions; (1) Mercury decomposition, (2) Reaction with hydrogen iodide and hydrolytic reaction in an alkaline homogeneous medium.
KeywordsSulphur Dioxide Carbontetrachloride Copper Oxide Sulphur Oxide Elemental Sulphur
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Vasudeva Murthy, A. R...Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci. 1952,36, 388.Google Scholar
- 2.Rao, B. S... Ibid., 1939,10, 491.Google Scholar
- 3.Vasudeva Murthy, A. R... Ibid., 1952,36, 425.Google Scholar
- 5.Satyanarayana, S. R. and Vasudeva Murthy, A. R.Z. anorg. alegem. chem., 1963 (in press).Google Scholar
- 8.Ramachandran Nair, C. G. and Vasudeva Murthy, A. R.Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci., 1962,55, 168.Google Scholar
- 10.—————..Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci., 1962,56 A, 130.Google Scholar