Biochemical response to cadmium
- 31 Downloads
Dose- and time-related effects of Cd (II) (0.5 or 1.0 mg/kg, Cd as CdCl2·H2O, subcutaneously, daily for 48 h, 1, 3, or 6 wk) were investigated in rats. A dose-related increase in the activity of plasma alkaline phosphatase (ALP), lactate dehydrogenase (LDH), aspartate aminotransferase (GOT), and alanine aminotransferase (GPT) was evident only at 6 wk, whereas an early rise in ALP and LDH was seen at 3 wk in 1.0 mg Cd group only. The hepatic and renal metallothionein (MT) induction displayed a dose- as well as time-related increase with Cd accumulation. A significant increase in hepatic Zn and renal Cu, no change in hepatic Cu, and a slight increase in renal Zn was observed. Urinary ALP and leucine aminopeptidase (LAP) showed an initial increase at 48 h, thereafter returned to near normal. A second phase of enzymuria (ALP, LAP, GOT, GPT, γ-glutamyl transpeptidase), proteinuria, and aminoaciduria occurred at 6 wk in a dose-related manner. The urinary excretion of specific renal enzymes appeared closely related to the MT induction and organ Cd levels.
Index EntriesCadmium toxicity metallothionein enzymes metals rat
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.L. Friberg, C. G. Elinder, T. Kjellstrom, and G. F. Nordberg, eds.,Cadmium and Health: A Toxicological and Epidemiological Appraisal, CRC, Boca Raton, FL 1985.Google Scholar
- 4.C. Tohyama, M. Ishida, N. Sugihira, and K. T. Suzuki,Toxicology of Metals: Clinical and Experimental Research, S. S. Brown and Y. Kodama, eds., Chichester, Ellis Horwood, 1987.Google Scholar
- 7.L. Friberg, M. Piscator and G. F. Nordberg,Cadmium in the Environment, CRC, Cleveland, OH 1971, pp. 37–39.Google Scholar
- 15.H. U. Bergmeyer, ed.,Methods of Enzymatic Analysis, vol. 2, Academic, NY 1974, pp. 715, 958.Google Scholar
- 16.M. Piscator and B. Pattersson,Clinical Chemistry and Chemical Toxicology of Metals, S. S. Brown ed., Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1977, pp. 143–155.Google Scholar
- 17.E. Merck,Medico-Chemical Investigation Method. Clinical Laboratory. 11th Ed., Darmstadt, FRG, 1974, pp. 91–93.Google Scholar
- 32.L. Friberg, M. Piscator, G. F. Nordberg, and T. Kjellstrom,Cadmium in the Environment, 2nd Ed., CRC, Cleveland, OH, 1974, p. 48.Google Scholar
- 33.Task Group on Metal Toxicity,Effects of Dose-Response Relationships of Toxic Metals, G. F. Nordberg, ed., Elsevier/North Holland Biomedical, Amsterdam, 1976, pp. 10–13.Google Scholar
- 34.C. Tohyama and Z. A. Shaikh,Fund. Appl. Toxicol. 1, 1 (1981).Google Scholar