Characterization of a cold-responsive gene,OsPTR1, isolated from the screening of β-Glucuronidase (GUS) gene-trapped rice
- 107 Downloads
T-DNA gene trap populations have been successfully used to isolate stress responsive genes by probing GUS expression after stress treatment. Here, we have identified cold responsive GUS expression in rice from Line 1C-118-30, where T-DNA was inserted at the 3rd exon ofOsPTR1. This gene encodes a putative peptide transporter sharing 40% homology withArabidopsis AtPTR2 and barley HvPTR. Northern analysis ofOsPTR1 confirmed that OsPTRi is inducible by cold stress, especially in the shoot but not in the root, thereby indicating an organ-specific response. Transcript was also induced by salt, and water stresses. Interestingly,OsPTR1 mRNA was highly expressed in theUBI::CBF1/DREB1b rice, indicating thatOsPTR1 may be regulated by the CBF/DREB stress signaling pathway.
Keywordscold gene trap peptide transporter rice stress
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aguan K, Sugawara K, Suzuki N, Kusano T (1991) Isolation of genes for low-temperature-induced proteins in rice by a simple subtractive method. Plant Cell Physiol 32: 1285–1289Google Scholar
- Dubouzet JG, Sakuma Y, Ito Y, Kasuga M, Dubouzet E, Miura S, Seki M, Shinozaki K, Yamaguchi-Shinozaki K (2003)OsDREB genes in rice,Oryza sativa L., encode transcription activators that function in drought-, high-salt-, and cold-responsive gene expression. Plant J 33: 751–763PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lee S-C, Huh K-W, An K, An G, Kim S-R (2004a) Ectopic expression of a cold-inducible transcription factor, CBF1/DREB1b, in transgenic rice (Oryza saliva L.). Mol Cells (in press)Google Scholar
- Levitt J (1980) Responses of plants to environmental stresses: Chilling, freezing and high temperature stresses. Academic Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Liu Q, Kasuga M, Sakuma Y, Abe H, Miura S, Yamaguchi-Shinozaki K, Shinozaki K (1998) Two transcription factors, DREB1 and DREB2, with an EREBP/AP2 DNA binding domain separate two cellular signal transduction pathways in drought-and low-temperature-responsive gene expression, respectively, inArabidopsis. Plant Cell 10: 1391–1406PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rogers SO, Bendich AJ (1988) Extraction of DNA from plant tissues.In SB Gilson, RA Schilperoort, eds, Plant Molecular Biology Manual. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, A6 pp 1–10Google Scholar
- Sakai A, Larcher W (1987) Frost survival of plants.In Responses and adaptation to freezing stress. Springer-Verlag, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- Stockinger EJ, Gilmour SJ, Thomashow MF (1997)Arabidopsis thaliana CBF1 encodes an AP2 domain-containing transcriptional activator that binds to the C-repeat/ DRE, a cis-acting DNA regulatory element that stimulates transcription in response to low temperature and water deficit. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94: 1035–1040PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yu J, Hu S, Wang J, Wong GK, Li S, Liu B, Deng Y, Dai L, Zhou Y, Zhang X, Cao M, Liu J, Sun J, Tang J, Chen Y, Huang X, Lin W, Ye C, Tong W, Cong L, Geng J, Han Y, Li L, Li W, Hu G, Huang X, Li W, Li J, Liu Z, Li L, Liu J, Qi Q, Liu J, Li L, Li T, Wang X, Lu H, Wu T, Zhu M, Ni P, Han H, Dong W, Ren X, Feng X, Cui P, Li X, Wang H, Xu X, Zhai W, Xu Z, Zhang J, He S, Zhang J, Xu J, Zhang K, Zheng X, Dong J, Zeng W, Tao L, Ye J, Tan J, Ren X, Chen X, He J, Liu D, Tian W, Tian C, Xia H, Bao Q, Li G, Gao H, Cao T, Wang J, Zhao W, Li P, Chen W, Wang X, Zhang Y, Hu J, Wang J, Liu S, Yang J, Zhang G, Xiong Y, Li Z, Mao L, Zhou C, Zhu Z, Chen R, Hao B, Zheng W, Chen S, Guo W, Li G, Liu S, Tao M, Wang J, Zhu L, Yuan L, Yang H (2002) A draft sequence of the rice genome (Oryza sativa L. ssp.indica). Science 296: 79–92PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar