National identity in moral education textbooks for high school students in the Philippines: A content analysis
- 244 Downloads
The past two consecutive administrations in the Philippines saw the need for developing a greater sense of national identity among Filipinos. In response, the Education Sector strengthened the teaching of values on national ideals and Filipino heritage. One reform was the offering of Moral Education as an independent subject in the secondary education curriculum. In support of this, publishing companies developed textbooks on Moral Education, which teachers used, aside from the prescribed textbooks. To determine the extent and nature of the inclusion of national identity in these textbooks, this study analyzed the content of 12 sample textbooks. Findings suggest the need to improve the content of textbooks in terms of the values relevant in developing citizens with a strong sense of national identity needed for national development.
Key Wordsnational identity moral education Philippines secondary education
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Colorado State University Department of English (2001).Guide to content analysis. Internet document: http://www.writing.colostate.edu/references/research/co ntent/index.cfmGoogle Scholar
- Department of Education Culture and Sports (1998).Master plan for basic education (1996–2005) Modernizing Philippine education. Manuscript in preparation.Google Scholar
- Department of Education Culture and Sports. (1988).Values education for the Filipino: The DECS Values education program. Manila, Philippines: DECS.Google Scholar
- Doronilla, M. L. C. (1987). Teachers and national identity formation: A cases study from the Philippines,Journal of Educational Equity and Leadership, 7 (4), 278–300.Google Scholar
- Doronila, M. L. C. (1989).The limits of educational change. Philippines: University of the Philippines Press.Google Scholar
- Mogol, M. A. (1999). Values education in the secondary schools,The Values Educator’s Journal, 1 (1), 8–9.Google Scholar
- Nunez, D. B. (1986).Values development of elementary school children under varying valuing instructions (Program for Decentralized Educational Development Monograph series 11). Manila, Philippines: Department of Education Culture and Sports.Google Scholar
- SEARRAG (Southeast Asian Research Review and Advisory Group). (1987).State-of-the-practice review of values education in the Philippines. Manila, Philippines: DECS.Google Scholar
- Shahani, L. R. (1992).Filipino values and national development Philippines: Economic Development Foundation.Google Scholar
- Smith, A. D. (1991).National identity. New York, NY: Penguin Books Ltd.Google Scholar
- Weber, R. P. (1990).Basic content analysis (Sage University Paper Series on Quantitative Applications in the Social Sciences, Series No. 49). Newbury Park, CA: Sage.Google Scholar