Crop acreage estimation using ERS-1 SAR data
- 46 Downloads
Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) data from the European Remote Sensing Satellite (ERS-1) acquired in July, October and November, 1992 covering the kharif season of the region were used separately and in combination to identify the major crops and for estimation of their acreage before harvest Separability indices were calculated for major cover types and it was found that single-date SAR data cannot be used for accurate identification of various crops. Multi-temporal colour composite facilitated better identification of crop types. Comparison of area estimates made with ERS-1 SAR and IRS-1B LISS II data showed that the commonly used digital data analysis techniques (per pixel classifiers) are not adequate for accurate estimation of crop acreage using SAR data.
KeywordsSynthetic Aperture Radar Synthetic Aperture Radar Data Radar Backscatter Crop Calendar Synthetic Aperture Radar Acquisition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brisco B, Brown R J and Manore M J (1989). Early season crop discrimination with combined SAR and TM data, Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 44–54.Google Scholar
- Calla O P N, Pillai N S, Kaushik O P and Sivaprasad S (1979). Temporal study of paddy using X-band Scatterometer, Proc. Thirteenth Int. Symposium on Remote Sensing of Environment, Michigan, pp. 695– 670.Google Scholar
- Cihlar J, Pultz T J and Gray A L (1993). Change detection with Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR), URS, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 401–414.Google Scholar
- Johnsen H (1992). Multi-look versus single look processing of SAR images with respect to ocean wave spectra estimation, URS, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp. 1627–1643.Google Scholar
- Mehta N C (1984). Separability of agricultural crops with airborne multiparameter radar. IEEE Trans. Remote Sensing, GE-22 (6): 540–546.Google Scholar
- Patel N K, Medhavy T T, Patnaik C, Hussain A and Das A (1993) Classification of Rice Crop with ERS- 1 SAR data, Proc. of Nat Symp. on Remote Sensing Applications for Resource Management with special emphasis on N.E. Region, Guwahati, Nov. 25–27, pp. 347–352.Google Scholar
- Paudyal D R and Aschbacher J (1994). ERS-1 SAR data calibration at the Indian National Remote Sensing Agency, Asian-Pacific Remote Sensing Journal, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 117–120.Google Scholar
- Qiu Z C and Goldberg (1985). A new classification scheme based on segmentation for Remote Sensing, Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 59–69.Google Scholar
- Thomson K P B, Edwards G, Landry R, Jaton A, Cadieux S P and Gwyn Q H J (1990). SAR applications in Agriculture, Multi-band correlation and segmentation, Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 47–54.Google Scholar