Seasonal variability of sonic layer depth in the Central Arabian Sea
- 178 Downloads
The seasonal variability of sonic layer depth (SLD) in the central Arabian Sea (CAS) (0 to 25°N and 62-66°E) was studied using the temperature and salinity (T/S) profiles from Argo floats for the years 2002–2006. The atmospheric forcing responsible for the observed changes was explored using the meteorological data from NCEP/NCAR and Quickscat winds. SLD was obtained from sound velocity profiles computed from T/S data. Net heat flux and wind forcing regulated SLD in the CAS. Up-welling and down-welling (Ekman dynamics) associated with the Findlater Jet controlled SLD during the summer monsoon. While in winter monsoon, cooling and convective mixing regulated SLD in the study region. Weak winds, high insolation and positive net heat flux lead to the formation of thin, warm and stratified sonic layer during pre and post summer monsoon periods, respectively.
Key wordsArgo float sonic layer depth net heat flux wind speed Arabian Sea
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Argo Science Team. 2001. The Global Array of Profiling Floats. p. 248–258. In:Observing Oceans in the 21st Century, ed. by C. Z. Koblinsky and N. R. Smith. Godae Proj. Off., Bur. Meteorol., Melbourne, Australia.Google Scholar
- Etter, C.P. 1996. Underwater Acoustic Modelling: Principles, Techniques and Applications. 2nd ed., E & FN Spon, London.Google Scholar
- Fofonoff, P. and R.C. Millard Jr. 1983. Algorithms for computation of fundamental properties of seawater.Unesco Technical Papers in Marine Science,44, 53.Google Scholar
- Prasad, T.G. and N. Bahulayan. 1996. Mixed layer depth and thermocline climatology of the Arabian Sea and western equatorial Indian Ocean.Indian J. Mar. Sci.,25, 189–194.Google Scholar
- Prasanna Kumar, S. and T.G. Prasad. 1996. Winter cooling in the northern Arabian Sea.Curr. Sci.,71, 834–841.Google Scholar
- Ravichandran, M., P.N. Vinaychandran, S. Joseph, and K. Radhakrishnan. 2004. Results from the first Argo float deployed by India.Curr. Sci.,86, 651–659.Google Scholar
- Tomczak, M. and J.S. Godfrey. 1994. Regional Oceanography: An Introduction. Pergamon. 422 p.Google Scholar
- Urick, R.J. 1983. Principles of Underwater Sound. McGraw-Hill, New York. 423 p.Google Scholar
- Wackernagel, H. 1998. Multivariate Geostatistics. 2nd ed., Springer-Verlag, New York. 291 p.Google Scholar
- Wong, A., R. Keeley, T. Carval, and the Argo Data Management Team. 2006. Argo quality control manual,Report ver. 2.2, Argo data management. 33 p.Google Scholar