Characteristics of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus
- 16 Downloads
THE frequency of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolated from pathological material from eight Dublin hospitals between April, 1971 and April, 1972 was 5.4 per cent. This frequency justifies their routine detection.
Characteristics of 90 methicillin resistant strains are examined. They include antibiotic sensitivity and sensitivity to metal ions, phage types, lipolytic activity, heterogeneity and temperature studies.
KeywordsStaphylococcus Aureus Methicillin Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus Lipolytic Activity IRISH Journal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Al Salihy, S. M. and James, A. M. 1972. Loss of methicillin-resistance from resistant strains of Staphylococcus aureus. Lancet ii, 331.Google Scholar
- Barber, Mary, Dutton, A. A. C., Beard, M. A., Elmes, P. C. and Williams, R. 1960. Reversal of antibiotic resistance in hospital staphylococcal infection. Br. med. J. i, 11.Google Scholar
- Marber, Mary 1964. Naturally occurring methicillin resistant staphylococci. J. Gen. Microbiol. 35, 183.Google Scholar
- Benner, E. J. and Kayser, F. H. 1968. Clinical significance of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Lancet, ii, 741.Google Scholar
- Blair, J. E. and Williams, R. E. O. 1961. Phage typing of staphylococci. Bull. Wld. Hlth. Org. 24, 771.Google Scholar
- Chabbert, Y. A., Budens, J. G., Acar, T. F. and Gerbaud, G. R. 1965. La resistance naturelle des Staphylocoques a La Methicillins et l'Oxacillins. Revue fr. Etud. Clin. Biol. 10, 495.Google Scholar
- Cowan, S. T. and Steel, K. J. 1970. Identification of Medical Bacteria. Cambridge University Press. pp. 153–154.Google Scholar
- Dornbush, K., Hallender, H. O. and Lofquist, F. 1969. Extra-chromosomal control of methicillin resistance and toxin production in Staphylococcus aureus. J. Bacteriol. 98, 351.Google Scholar
- Jevons, M. Patricia. 1961. Celbenin-resistant staphylococci. Br. med. J. i, 124.Google Scholar
- Moorhouse, Ellen C. and Farrell, Wendy. 1971. Nasal and intestinal carriage of antibiotic resistant bacteria by patients on admission to hospital. J. Irish. Med. Ass. 64, 571.Google Scholar
- Sierra, G. 1957. A simple method for the detection of lipolytic activity of micro-organisms and some observations on the influence of the contact between cells and fatty substrates. Antonie Leeuwenhoek, J. Microbiol. Serol. 23, 15.Google Scholar