Behavioral studies of the mobile forms ofsynclera univocalis on jujube,zizyphus mauritiana
- 17 Downloads
One- or two-day-old larvae ofSynclera univocalis Wlk. (Pyralidae: Lepidoptera) were found mostly (83%) on young leaves of jujube (Zizyphus mauritiana Lamk. var.Umran) trees; in 67% of the cases the interveinal area of the tender leaves was folded. As the larvae grew older, the sides of the leaf were folded and the larvae fed within them. The leaf was turned inward by 71% of the larvae, while the rest turned the leaf outward. In 99% of the cases only one larva was found per leaf; very rarely were larvae of two different species of webbers found on the same leaf. The occurrence of the larvae was greatest at a tree height of 1.5-2 m. The distribution of the pest in the orchard was random. The percentage of adults on leaves was significantly higher than on webs, branches, the ground, or hovering. The maximum number of adults counted was at 13.00 hours.
Key WordsSynclera univocalis, behavior Zizyphus mauritiana jujube leaf-webber
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Batra, R.C., Sandhu, G.S. and Singh, S.N. (1980) Note on the chemical control ofber leaf webber.Entomon (Univ. of Kerala, India)5: 53–54.Google Scholar
- 2.Hampson, G.F. (1896) The Fauna of British India including Ceylon and Burma. Moths, Vol. IV. Thacker, Spink and Co., Calcutta.Google Scholar
- 3.Mann, G.S. (1981) Chemical control ofSynclera univocalis Walker on jujube at Ludhiana.Indian J. agric. Sci. 51: 517–520.Google Scholar
- 4.Mann, G.S. and Brar, J.S. (1980) Record ofSynclera sp. nr.traducalis Led. andPleurota sp. as a pest of jujube (Zizyphus mauritiana Lamk.) at Ludhiana (Punjab).Indian J. Hort. 37: 106–107.Google Scholar
- 5.Singh, D. (1979) Biology ofSynclera univocalis Wlk. (Pyralidae: Lepidoptera) onZizyphus mauritiana Lamk. var.Umran. Unpublished M.Sc. thesis, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana.Google Scholar
- 6.Singh, D. and Mann, G.S. (1980) Feeding behaviour of the larvae ofSynclera univocalis Wlk. (Pyralidae: Lepidoptera) onZizyphus mauritiana Lamk. var.Umran. IX A. Conf. Ethological Soc. India (Feb. 11-13, 1980,Madurai-Kamaraj Univ.)p.49 (abstr.).Google Scholar