Note: Pyrethroid resistance and possible involvement of glutathioneS-transferases inHelicoverpa armigera from Turkey
An introductory study was conducted to investigate the pyrethroid resistance ofHelicoverpa armigera (Hübner) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) strains in Turkey, collected from cotton fields in the Adana and Antalya provinces, through two different synthetic pyrethroid insecticides: lambda-cyhalothrin and esfenvalerate. In addition, the roles of glutathioneS-transferases (GSTs) in this resistance mechanism were analyzed. It was found that whereas resistance ratios for lambda-cyhalothrin (LD50 levels) were 3- and 98-fold increased in the Adana and Antalya strains, respectively, esfenvalerate ratios were 3.3- and 92.3-fold increased in the Adana and Antalya strains, respectively, with respect to the susceptible strain. Furthermore, Adana and Antalya strains showed 2.4- and 2.9-fold higher GST activities than the susceptible strain, respectively. In the Antalya field strain, the minor increase in GST activity compared with the resistance levels implies that GSTs may be not greatly involved in this resistance. It also provides evidence that they could not be the only metabolic mechanism responsible for resistance to lambda-cyhalothrin and esfenvalerate inH. armigera from Turkey.
Key wordsHelicoverpa armigera cotton pyrethroid resistance glutathioneS-transferases
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anon. (1970) Standard method for detection of insecticide resistance inHeliothis zea (Boddie) andH. virescens (F.).Bull. Entomol. Soc. Am. 16:147–153.Google Scholar
- 8.LeOra Software (1994) POLO-PC: A User’s Guide to Probit or Logit Analysis. LeOra Software, Berkeley, CA, USA.Google Scholar
- 9.Lowry, O.H., Rosebrough, N.J., Farr, A.L. and Randal, R.J. (1951) Protein measurement with the folin phenol reagent.J. Biol. Chem. 248:265–275.Google Scholar
- 13.Qiu, X.-H. and Leng, X.-F. (2000) The tissue distribution of monooxygenase activities of the cotton bollworm,Helicoverpa armigera.Acta Ecol. Sin. 20:299–303 (Chinese, with English abstr.).Google Scholar
- 16.Sawicki, R., Singh, S.P., Mondal, A.K., Benes, H. and Zimniak, P. (2003) Cloning, expression and biochemical characterization of one Epsilon-class (GST-3) and ten Delta-class (GST-1) glutathioneS-transferases fromDrosophila melanogaster, and identification of additional nine members of the Epsilon class.Biochem. J. 370:661–669.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Wu, Y. and Shen, J. (1996) Characteristics of fenvalerate resistance inHelicoverpa armigera (Hübner) from China.Resistant Pest Manag. Newsl. 8(1):25–27.Google Scholar