Quantitative determination of eleutheroside B and E fromAcanthopanax species by high performance liquid chromatography
- 333 Downloads
Reversed-phase high performance liquid chromatographic method was applied for the determination of eleutheroside B and E in the variousAcanthopanax species collected in Korea. The stationary phase used was Zorbax 300 SB C18 and a mobile phase program was used, which started at 6% acetonitrile for 2 min, and then a linear gradient was operated for the next 18 min to 17% acetonitrile at a flow rate of 1.0 ml/min. The column effluent was monitored at UV 210 nm. Identification was carried out by comparing the retention time and the LC/MS spectrum of each peak corresponding to eleutheroside B and E from sample with those of standards. In general, the contents of eleutheroside B and E in stems were higher than those in roots.Acanthopanax species could be classified into two groups based upon the contents of eleutheroside B and E: one group contains no or very little eleutheroside B and another contains both eleutheroside B and E.
Key wordsAcanthopanax species Eleutheroside B Eleutheroside E Gradient elution HPLC
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Farnsworth, N. R., Kinghorn, A. D., Sobe, S., Protectivejarto, D. D., and Waller, D. P., Siberian Ginseng (Eleutherococcus senticosus): Current Status as an Adaptogen, In Wagner, H., Hikino, H. and Farnsworth, N. R. (Eds.). Economic and Medicinal Plant Research. Academic Press, London, pp. 155–215, (1985).Google Scholar
- Kim, Y. H., Studies on the chemical components and biological activities ofAcanthopanax koreanum. Ph. D. Dissertation, Seoul National University (1986).Google Scholar
- Perry, L. M. and Metzger, J.,Medicinal plants of East and Southeast of Asia. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA and London, pp. 41, (1980).Google Scholar
- Takasugi, N., Moriguchi, T., Fuwa, T., Sanada, S., Ida, Y., Shoji, J., and Saito, H., Effect ofEleutherococcus senticosus and its rectal temperature, body and grip tones, mortor coordination, and exploratory and spontaneous movements in acute stressed mice.Shoyakugaku Zasshi, 39, 232–237 (1985).Google Scholar
- Yook, C. S., Lee, D. H., and Seo, Y. K., A new forma ofAcanthopanax species (I).Kor. J. Pharmacog., 7, 179–190 (1976).Google Scholar