Medical history: Seishu hanaoka and his success in breast cancer surgery under general anesthesia two hundred years ago
In 1804, Seishu Hanaoka performed the first successful surgical treatment of breast cancer under general anesthesia in the world. It preceeded by 38 years C W Long’s trial of ether anesthesia in 1842. In this paper, Hanaoka’s biography and his contributions to surgery and anesthesiology in those days, and also his advanced ideas about medicine and sanitation are presented.
Hanaoka had made many efforts to develop the optimal prescriptionof the anesthetic“Tsusensan (or Mafutsu-To)”for almost 20 years. Finally, he succeeded in using it clinically for breast cancer surgery, on October 13,1804.
Hanaoka performed operations for breast cancer in a total of 156 cases, and also for many other kinds of surgical procedures. He also eagerly contrived and modified many surgical instruments. In spite of such a busy daily schedule, he eagerly trained and educated many students, using his own philosophy for medical management. Details of his background and some discussion from a present-day viewpoints are included.
Key wordsMedical history Seishu Hanaoka Breast Cancer Anesthesia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).Izuo M: Seishu Hanaoka and his achievements.Jpn J Breast Cancer 9:433–440, 593–602, 1994.Ibid 10:145- 149, 1995 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 2).Kure S: Seishu Hanaoka and His Surgery, beoriginal ed., Tohodo, Tokyo, 1923 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 3).Kure S: Seishu Hanaoka and His Surgery, reprinted ed., Shibunkaku Publ., Kyoto, 1971 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 4).Soda H: Several points on Seishu Hanaoka’s Tsusensan; Supplements. In Kure’s Seishu Hanaoka and His Surgery. Shibunkaku Publ. Kyoto, pp29–34, 1971 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 5).Hanaoka S:“Nyugan-Chiken-Roku (Treatment of Breast Cancer with Case Records)”. —.Google Scholar
- 6).Hanaoka S:“Nyugan-Seimei-Roku (A Name List of Breast Cancer Patients)”, —.Google Scholar
- 7).Achiba G: Acceptance of Lorenz Heister (1683-1758).I Modern Medicine 10:115–118, 1974 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 8).Heister L: Heikundige Onderwyzingen (Surgery). 1741 (in Dutch, the original text in German, 1718). —Google Scholar
- 9).Sugita G:“Yoka-Taisei (General Survey of Surgery)”, 1768. —Google Scholar
- 10).Matsuki A: Seishu Hanaoka and the date of the first operation under general anesthesia.Masui (Anesthesia) 21:300–301, 1972 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 12).Matsuki A: Seishu Hanaoka in modern anesthesiology -Battles with pain. Nikkei Medical 120–123, June, 1993 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 13).Nakagawa S:“Mayaku-Ko (Some Considerations on Narcotic Drugs)”, 1796. —Google Scholar
- 14).Takeuchi M: Excavation study of“Shunrinken”.Wakayama Culture and Nature Magazine 17:12–15, 1996 (in Japanese).Google Scholar