A new algorithm for generalized optimal discriminant vectors
- 34 Downloads
A study has been conducted on the algorithm of solving generalized optimal set of discriminant vectors in this paper. This paper proposes an analytical algorithm of solving generalized optimal set of discriminant vectors theoretically for the first time. A lot of computation time can be saved because all the generalized optimal sets of discriminant vectors can be obtained simultaneously with the proposed algorithm, while it needs no iterative operations. The proposed algorithm can yield a much higher recognition rate. Furthermore, the proposed algorithm overcomes the shortcomings of conventional human face recognition algorithms which were effective for small sample size problems only. These statements are supported by the numerical simulation experiments on facial database of ORL.
Keywordspattern recognition feature extraction discriminant analysis generalized optimal set of discriminant vectors face recognition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Rama Chellappa, Wilson C L, Sirohey S. Human and machine recognition of faces: A survey. InProceedings of the IEEE, 1995, 83(5): 705–740.Google Scholar
- Tian Qet al. Image classification by the Foley-Sammon transform.Optical Engineering, 1986, 25(7): 834–839.Google Scholar
- Okada Tet al. Theory of feature extraction by orthogonal discriminant vectors.Trans. IECE (A), 1982, 65(8): 767–771. (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Hamamoto Yet al. A note on the orthogonal discriminant vector of pattern recognition.Trans. IECE (A), 1989, 72(2): 414–419. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Wang Genglu, Shi Rongchang. Theory of Matrix. National Defense Industry Press, Beijing, 1988.Google Scholar
- Sun Jiguang. Perturbation Analysis of Matrix. Science Press, Beijing, 1987.Google Scholar
- Guo Yuefei, Yang Jingyu. An iterative algorithm for the generalized optimal set of discriminant vectors and its application to face recognition.Chinese J. Computer, 2000, 23(11): 1189–1195. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Guo Yuefei. Algebraic feature extraction of face images and research on the optimal discriminant vectors [Dissertation]. Nanjing University of Science and Technology, June, 2000. (in Chinese)Google Scholar