Studies on variation in interspecific hybrids ofSaccharum
The extent and pattern of variation were studied in F1 population of improvedS. officinarum xS. spontaneum and commercial hybrids xS. spontaneum obtained from six crosses. The study revealed the superiority of all the crosses for cane population and presence of substantial variability for further effective selection and utilisation. Hybrid progenies were in general thin. High heterotic vigour was observed for cane height which will be of use to maintain yield potential. Mean performance of the crosses for single cane weight and H.R. Brix was low which needs further improvement. While crosses involving commercial hybrids as pistil parent like CoC 671 x PIS 38 and Co 86010 x PIS 38 were superior for cane population and H.R. Brix, crosses namely PIO 88-110 x PIS 44 and PIO 88-94 x IND 82-319 were superior for cane yield. In general, clones with high number of millable canes, moderate Brix, good vigour and medium thick canes were also observed which can be further exploited.
KeywordsInterspecific hybrids variation Saccharum sp
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Areceneaux, A. 1965. Cultivated sugarcanes of the world and their botanical derivation. Proc. ISSCT12: 844–854.Google Scholar
- Babu, C.N. and A.S. Ethirajan,1962. A note on use of S.spontaneum L. in sugarcane breeding. Proc. ISSCT,11: 464–469.Google Scholar
- Dunckelman, T.H. and R.D. Breaux,1971. Breeding of sugarcane varieties for Louisiana with nre germplasm. Proc. ISSCT,14: 233–239.Google Scholar
- Price, S. 1965. Interspecific hybridization in sugarcane breeding. Proc. ISSCT,12: 1021–1026.Google Scholar
- Roach, B.T. 1968. Quantitative effects of hybridization in S.officinarum xS. spontaneum crosses. Proc. ISSCT,13: 939–954.Google Scholar
- Roach, B.T. 1977. Utilization of S.spontaneum in sugarcane breeding. Proc. ISSCT,16: 43–57.Google Scholar
- Shang, K.C, Jaung, P.Y, Chu, T.L and S.T. Huang,1968. A study on transmission of some important characteristics of Taiwan originated wild cane (S.spontaneum L.). Proc. ISSCT,13: 968–974.Google Scholar
- Walker, D.I.T. 1971. Utilization of noble and S.spotaneum germplasm in the West Indies. Proc. ISSCT14: 224–232.Google Scholar
- Walker, D.I.T. 1987. Manipulating the genetic base of sugarcane. Copersucar international Sugarcane Breeding Workshop. Copersucar Technology Center, Brazil. Pp. 321–334.Google Scholar