The monk hard-top prosthesis for displaced intracapsular fractures of the femoral neck
- 15 Downloads
The Monk Hard-Top prosthesis was inserted without operative mortality in 85 patients, with an average age of 81 years, presenting with Intracapsular Fracture of the Femoral Neck, Garden grade 3 or 4.
At review, 60% of the patients walked unaided, without pain. Only 6% of those reviewed had a poor functional outcome. Fifty-three per cent of the patients returned to their previous environment and 47% had died 6 months postoperatively.
The prosthesis is more difficult to dislocate, once inserted properly, than either a Thompson Hemiarthroplasty or a Primary Total Hip replacement. It is less likely to sustain Component Disassembly than other types of bipolar hemiarthroplasty.
The Monk Hard Top Prosthesis is recommended for the treatment of Garden grade 3 or 4 Intracapsular Fractures of the Femoral Neck in elderly people.
KeywordsFemoral Neck Functional Grade Bipolar Hemiarthroplasty Intracapsular Fracture Subcapital Fracture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Garden, R. S. Low angled fixation in fractures of the femoral neck. J.BJ.S.(Br.) 1961: 43B, 647–63.Google Scholar
- 2.d’Aubigne, R., Postel, M. Functional results of hip arthroplasty with acrylic prosthesis. J.BJ.S. (Am.) 1954: 36-A, 451–75.Google Scholar
- 3.Bhuller, S. B. Use of the Gilberty Bipolar Endoprosthesis in the femoral neck fractures. Clin. Orlh. 1982: 162, 165–69.Google Scholar
- 4.D’Arcy, J., Devas, J. Treatment of fractures of the femoral neck by replacement with the Thompson Prosthesis. J.B.J.S.(Br.) 1976: 58-B, 279–86.Google Scholar
- 5.Long, J. W., Knight, W. Batanan UPF Prosthesis in fractures of the femoral neck. Clin. Orth. 1980: 152, 198–01.Google Scholar
- 6.Rae, P. J., Hodgkinson, J. P.et al. Treatment of displaced subcapital fractures with the Chamley-Hastings Hemiaithroplasty. J.B.J.S.(Br.) 1989: 71-B, 478–82.Google Scholar
- 7.Meyer, S. Prosthetic replacement in hip fractures: A comparison between the Moore and the Christiansen Endoprosthesis. Clin. Orth. 1981: 160, 57–62.Google Scholar
- 9.Burwell, H. B. Replacement of the femoral head by a prosthesis in subcapital fractures. J.B.J.S.(Br.) 1976: 54B, 741–49.Google Scholar
- 12.Sim, F. H., Stauffer, M. D. Management of hip fractures by total hip replacement. Clin. Orth. 1980: 152, 191–94.Google Scholar