Correlation and path analysis for cane yield, juice quality and their component traits in sugarcane
Investigation was carried out at the Karnataka Institute of Applied Agricultural Research (KIAAR), Sameerwadi, during January 1998 to January 1999 to know the character association and path coefficient analysis in sixty sugarcane (saccharum officinarum L.) genotypes. Among twenty characters, single cane weight, number of millable canes per plot, leaf area and germination percent had positive and highly significant association with cane yield as well as with commercial cane sugar yield. Path coefficient analysis of cane yield per plot revealed that commercial cane sugar per plot and commercial cane sugar percent at harvest along with dry matter and number of internodes were the major contributors to cane yield per plot, where as sugar yield was largely depended on both cane yield and sucrose percent.
Key WordsSaccharum officinarum path analysis cane yield juice quality commercial cane sugar yield
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cochran, W.G. and Cox, G.M. (1957).Experimental Designs. Kew: John Wiley & Sons, Inc. New York, USA.Google Scholar
- Dewey, D.R. and Lu, K.H. (1959). A correlation and path coefficient analysis of components of crested wheat grass seed production.Agronomy Journal,51: 515–518.Google Scholar
- Punia, M.S. and Hooda, R.S. (1982). Studies on variability, heritability and genetic advance of some quality attributes in sugarcane.Indian Sugar,31: 911–914.Google Scholar
- Singh, S. and Khan, A.Q. (1995). Selection indices and path analysis for cane yield. Sugarcane,3: 9–11.Google Scholar
- Rishipal, B.S., Chaudhary, A.S., Mehta and Kadian, S.P. (1998). Studies on character interrelationship in clonal generation of sugarcane (Saccharum complex hybrids).Indian Sugar,47(11): 907–911.Google Scholar
- Reddy, C.R. and Reddi, M.V. (1987). Interrelationship of cane yield with its components.Sugarcane,4(1): 14–16.Google Scholar
- Verma, P.S., Dhaka, R.P.S. and Singh, H.N. (1988). Genetic variability and correlation studies in sugarcane.Indian Journal of Genetics and Plant Breeding,48: 213–217.Google Scholar
- Gajera, G.M., Patel, H.S., Patel, M.P., Nair, P.L. and Mehta, N.J. (1991). Correlation studies in sugarcane.Indian Sugar,15(12): 875–876.Google Scholar
- Das, P.K., Jena, B.C. and Nayak, N. (1997). Character association and path analysis of sugar yield in sugarcane.Indian Sugar,46(10): 805–808.Google Scholar
- Sreekumar, K., Jessy, Kuriakose, M., Thomas Mathew, Alexander, D. and Santhakumari, S. (1994). Variability, heritability and correlation on studies on the yield and quality characters of sugarcane.Indian Sugar,44(4): 243–249.Google Scholar
- Patel, M.M., Patel, H.S., Patel, A.D. and Patel, M.P. (1993). Correlation and path analysis in sugarcane.Indian Sugar,43(6): 365–368.Google Scholar
- Sreekumar, S.G., Nair, V.G., Saraswathy, P. and Nair, S.S. (1989). Path analysis for cane yield, CCS percentage and sugar yield in the first ratoon crop of sugarcane.Indian Sugar,38(10): 809–812.Google Scholar