Role of Indole-3-Acetic Acid in Sprouting of Subterranean buds in Winter Initiated Sugarcane Ratoon
- 67 Downloads
Sprouting of subterranean/stubble buds was studied in relation to indole-3-acetic acid (IAA) metabolism in two sugarcane varieties, CoLk 8102 (mid-late maturing) and CoS 88230 (early maturing) during different dates of harvesting in winter season (Nov. to Feb.) during the crop season 1997–98. Sprouting of stubble buds was significantly lesser in December and January than November and February initiated ratoon. Variety CoLk 8102 showed significantly higher bud sprouting per clump than CoS 88230. The sub-optimal temperature prevailing during the month of December and January seems to have more inhibitory effect on bud sprouting in variety CoS 88230. Tryptophan (a precursor of IAA) pool in the stubble buds was more in variety CoLk 8102 than CoS 88230. The tryptophan content in buds was positively correlated with concentration of zinc (essential for IAA synthesis). Specific activities of IAA oxidase and peroxidase were significantly higher in variety CoS 88230, which might have reduced IAA level as observed by relatively lower tryptophan and Zn contents in the stubble buds, thus indicating involvement of IAA in stubble bud sprouting of sugarcane at low temperature.
Key WordsStubble bud Sprouting IAA Tryptophan Peroxidade Sugarcane ratoon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Agrawal, M.P. andSrivastava, A.K. (1983). Sprouting in sugarcane ratoons under variable temperature conditions.Proc. Annu. Conv. STAI.,47: 73–77.Google Scholar
- Kanwar, R.S. andKaur, H. (1981). Further studies on improving productivity of stubble crop in low temperature areas of North India.Proc. Annu. Conv. STAI.,45: 103–107.Google Scholar
- Kapur, A. andKanwar, R.S. (1985). Biochemical aspects of subterranean buds under low temperature conditions in sugarcane ratoon crop.Sugar Cane,6: 10–12.Google Scholar
- Kumar, A. andPande, H.P. (1987). Physiological changes in sugarcane stubble buds in the quiescent phase.J. Indian Bot. Soc.,66: 397–401.Google Scholar
- Shannan, L.M., Key, E. andLew, J.Y. (1966). Peroxidase isozymes from horse raddish roots I: Isolation and physical properties.J. Biol. Chem.,241: 2166–2172.Google Scholar
- Singh, I., Nandwal, A.S., Bharti, S. andKuhad, M.S. (1995). Biochemical characterization of corolla and carpel during flower ageing in pigeonpea(Cajanus cajan L,).Indian J. Plant Physiol.,38: 284–287.Google Scholar
- Singh, I. (1998). Stubble bud sprouting in winter initiated sugarcane ratoon.Indian J. Plant Physiol.,3(4): 253–255.Google Scholar
- Takaki, H. andKushizaki, M. (1970) Role of Zn in auxin synthesis from trptophan.Plant Cell Physiol.,11: 793.Google Scholar