Anisotropic-asymmetric yield criterion and anisotropic hardening law for composite materials: Theory and formulations
In this paper, elasto-plastic constitutive equations for highly anisotropic and asymmetric materials are developed and their numerical implementation is presented. Some engineering materials such as fiber reinforced composites show different material behavior in the different material directions (anisotropy) as well as in tension and compression (asymmetry). Although these materials have mostly been analyzed using the anisotropic elastic constitutive equations, the necessity of consideration of plastic properties has been frequently reported in the previous works. In order to include both the anisotropic and asymmetric properties of composite materials, the Drucker-Prager yield criterion is modified by adding anisotropic parameters and initial components of translation. The implementation procedure for the developed theory and algorithms is presented based on the implicit finite element scheme. The measured data from the previous work are used to validate the present constitutive equations.
KeywordsConstitutive equations Drucker-Prager yield criterion Anisotropy Asymmetry Fiber reinforced composites
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.B. D. Agarwal and L. J. Broutman, “Analysis and Performance of Fiber Composites”, John Wiley & Sons, NY, 1980.Google Scholar
- 7.A. S. Khan and S. Huang, “Continuum Theory of Plasticity”, John Wiley & Sons, NY, 1995.Google Scholar
- 8.R. Hill, “The Mathematical Theory of Plasticity”, Oxford University Press, NY, 1956.Google Scholar
- 12.L. P. Isupov and Yu. N. Rabotnov,Izv. AN SSSR MTT,1, 121 (1985).Google Scholar
- 14.M. G. Lee, D. Kim, K. Chung, J. R. Youn, and T. J. Kang,Polymer and Polymer Composites,12, 225 (2004).Google Scholar
- 16.R. M. Jones, “Mechanics of Composite Materials”, McGraw-Hill, NY, 1975.Google Scholar
- 17.K. Chung, M.-G. Lee, D. Kim, C. Kim, M. L. Wenner, and F. Barlat,International Journal of Plasticity,21, 861 (2005).Google Scholar
- 20.J. C. Simo and T. J. R. Hughes, “Computational Inelasticity”, Springer-Verlag, N.Y., U.S.A., 1997.Google Scholar
- 21.Hibbitt, Karlsson and Sorensen, “ABAQUS User’s Manual”, Version 6.2.6., 2001.Google Scholar
- 22.D. Lee and W. A. Backofen,Trans. Metall. Soc. AIME, 236 (1966).Google Scholar