Biological production of alcohols from coal through indirect liquefaction
- 265 Downloads
A bacterial culture has been isolated from animal waste that is capable of converting CO in synthesis gas to ethanol and acetate. The culture requires a yeast extract level of approximately.01 g/L, and the conversion is enhanced by agitation. The culture produces a higher yield of ethanol and ratio of ethanol to acetate when BESA and excess yeast extract are removed from the media. An ethanol concentration of 4.3 g/L has been obtained in batch screening experiments.
The culture has been purified by successive dilution and tentatively identified as a member of theClostridium species. Further experimentation is required for positive identification.
Index EntriesCoal indirect liquefaction carbon monoxide alcohols ethanol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lee, D. D., Scott, C. D., and Hancher, C. W. (1979),J. Water Pollut. Control Fed. 51 (5), p. 974.Google Scholar
- 2.Pfaender, F. K., Singer, P. C., Lamb, J. C., III, and Goodman, R. (1981),DOE Sym. Ser. 54, p. 541.Google Scholar
- 3.Eastmond, D. A., Muehle, C. M., Price, R. L., Hutchens, C. A., Booth, G. M., and Lee, M. L. (1983),Proc., 7th Polynucl. Aromat. Hydrocarbons, Intl. Symp., p. 451.Google Scholar
- 4.Hill, J. O., Giere, M. S., Pickrell, J. A., Hahn, F. F., and Dahl, A. R. (1979),Annu. Rep. Inhalation Res. Inst. p. 406.Google Scholar
- 5.Giddings, J. M. (1981),U. S. Envir. Prot. Agency Off. Res. Dev., EPA-600/9 – 81 – 018.Google Scholar
- 7.Fresquez, P. R., and Lindemann, W. C. (1982),Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 46 (4), p. 751.Google Scholar
- 8.Ander, P., and Erickson, K. E.Physiol. Plant 41, pp. 239 – 248.Google Scholar
- 9.Drew, S. W., Glasser, W. G., and Hall, P. L. (1979). Final report of research project.Google Scholar
- 10.Crawford, D. L. (1979), Final report for NTIS B-293015, US Department of Commerce.Google Scholar
- 11.Crawford, R. L. (1979), NTIS PB80 – 108681, US Department of Commerce.Google Scholar
- 12.Cohen, M. (1986),Proc. Biol. Treatment Coals Workshop p. 95.Google Scholar
- 13.Scott, C. D. (1986),Proceed. Biol. Treatment Coals Workshop p. 128.Google Scholar
- 14.Clausen, E. C., and Gaddy, J. L. (1986), Prepared for the US Department of Energy, Pittsburgh Energy Technology Center, Contract No. DE – AC22 – 85PC80012.Google Scholar
- 15.Thauer, R. K., Jungermann, K. and Decker, K. (1977),Bacteriol. Rev. 41, pp. 100–180.Google Scholar
- 16.Barik, S., Vega, J. L., Johnson, E. R., Clausen, E. C., and Gaddy, J. L. (1987),Biotechnol. Appl. Fossil Fuels, CRC Press.Google Scholar
- 17.Clausen, E. C., and Gaddy, J. L. (1987), Quarterly report prepared for the US Department of Energy, Pittsburgh Energy Technology Center, Contract No. DE – AC22 – 85PC80012.Google Scholar