Regional trade agreements and WTO accession of CIS countries
- 258 Downloads
The successor states of the Former Soviet Union which are today members of the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) for the most part began to liberalise their trade regimes in the early and mid-1990s. At the same time they have pursued two major long-term strategies in an attempt to foster their integration within the region and into the global trading system: First, various forms of bilateral and plurilateral regional trade agreements were formed. Secondly, with the exceptions only of Turkmenistan and Tadjikistan all CIS countries have applied for accession to the WTO. Given the plethora of bi- and plurilateral RTAs and arcane and inconsistent trade regulations, WTO membership is likely to be a sine qua non to rationalise the trade and integration strategies of the CIS countries.
KeywordsWorld Trade Organisation Custom Union Free Trade Area Regional Trade Agreement Kyrgyz Republic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.WTO: Document facilities on accession negotiations (www.WTO/ACC/name of country/No. of country document); various released documents provided by CIS countries in the process of WTO accession on WTO homepage.Google Scholar
- 2.C. Michalopoulos: WTO accession for countries in transition, Policy Research Working Paper No. 1934, The World Bank, Washington, D. C. 1998.Google Scholar
- 4.S. Trofimovich, F.A. Antonovich: Conditions and perspectives of GATT/WTO membership of Ukraine. Report prepared for the TACIS-Project SIAFT 2000, Kiew/Moscow.Google Scholar
- 6.O. Melyukhina, P. Wehrheim: Russian Agricultural and Food Policies in the Transition Period: Federal and Regional Responsibilities in Flux, Discussion Paper Series “Russia's Agro-food Sector in Transition”, Institut für Ernährungswirtschaft, Verbrauchslehre und Welternährungswirtschaft, Universität Kiel, No. 5, September 1996, 42 pp.Google Scholar
- 7.WTO accession documents for Armenia (www.WTO/ACC/ARM/8, p. 39).Google Scholar
- 8.For more details on these issues se TACIS-SIAFT 2001 (www.aris.ru/WIN_E/).Google Scholar
- 9.WTO accession documents for Russia (www.WTO/ACC/RUS/9/Add.1, no. 83).Google Scholar