Sovereign credit ratings, emerging market risk and financial market volatility
- 363 Downloads
This article presents event studies that find a significant effect on dollar bond yield spreads when rating agencies put emerging-market sovereign bonds on review with negative outlook. The finding has two conditional implications. If rating agencies can be turned from late into early warning signals, they would have the potential to dampen boom-bust cycles in emerging-market flows. If rating agencies cannot improve on their reactive approach witnessed in the run-up and aftermath of recent currency crises, regulation and guidelines stipulating a certain rating status for institutional investment will continue to intensify boom-bust cycles. The paper concludes with regulatory suggestions for both outcomes.
KeywordsYield Spread Stock Market Return Credit Rate Agency Sovereign Bond International Finance Corporation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Harberger: Lessons for Debtor-Country Managers and Policy Makers, in: G. Smith and J. T. Cuddington (eds.): International Debt and the Developing Countries, World Bank 1985.Google Scholar
- 2.G. Larrain, H. Reisen, J. von Maltzan: Emerging Market Risk and Sovereign Credit Ratings, OECD Development Centre, Technical Papers, No. 124, 1997.Google Scholar
- 3.R. Cantor, F. Packer: Determinants and impact of sovereign credit ratings, in: Federal Reserve Bank of New York, Economic Policy Review 2.2, 1996, pp. 37–53, here p. 34.Google Scholar
- 4.J. Eaton, Gersowitz, J. Stiglitz: The Pure Theory of Country Risk, in: European Economic Review 1986.Google Scholar
- 6.E.g., J. Hand, R. Holthausen, R. Leftwich: The effect of bond rating agency announcements on bond and stock prices, in: The Journal of Finance 157.2, 1992, pp. 733–752.Google Scholar
- 8.R. Holthausen and R. Leftwich: The effect of bond rating changes on common stock prices, in: Journal of Financial Economics 17, 1986, pp. 57–89.Google Scholar
- 9.R. Cantor, F. Packer, op. cit. Determinants and impact of sovereign credit ratings, in: Federal Reserve Bank of New York, Economic Policy Review 2.2, 1996, pp. 37–53, here p. 34.Google Scholar