Asymptotics of periodic subelliptic operators
We establish that heat diffusion with periodic conductivity is governed by two scales. The small time diffusion is described by the geodesic distance but the large time behaviour is dictated by the distance associated with an homogenized system obtained by a suitable averaging process. Our methods are quite general and apply to diffusion on a stratified Lie group.
ASM Subject Classification43A65 22E45 35H05 22E05 35B45
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BLP]Bensoussan, A., Lions, J. L. and Papanicolaou, G. C.Asymptotic analysis for periodic structures. Studies in Mathematics and its Applications 5. North-Holland, 1978.Google Scholar
- [Dav1]Davies, E. B.Heat kernels and spectral theory. Cambridge Tracts in Mathematics92. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge etc., 1989.Google Scholar
- [FoS]Folland, G. B. and Stein, E. M.Hardy spaces on homogeneous groups. Mathematical Notes 28. Princeton University Press, Princeton, 1982.Google Scholar
- [Rob]Robinson, D. W.Elliptic operators and Lie groups. Oxford Mathematical Monographs. Oxford University Press, Oxford etc., 1991.Google Scholar
- [VSC]Varopoulos, N., Saloff-Coste, L. and Coulhon, T.Analysis and geometry on groups. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1992.Google Scholar