Relationship of plasma homocysteine with lipid profile parameters in ischemic heart disease
The present study was undertaken to explore the relationship of plasma homocysteine with other biochemical parameters in ischemic heart disease. Plasma levels of total homocysteine was measured by HPLC—fluorescence detection with internal standard in 60 ischemic heart disease patients and were compared with 30 age matched normal healthy controls. The significant increase of plasma homocysteine was observed in both myocardial infarction and chronic stable ischemic heart disease patients when compared with the controls. The hyperhomocysteinemia appears be to due to increased body demand of vitamins such as folic acid, vitamin B12, B6, B2 either alone or in combination to regulate normal homocysteine metabolism.
KeywordsIschemic heart disease (IHD) High density lipoprotein (HDL) High performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) Homocysteine (Hcy) Total cholesterol (TC) and Triglycerides (TG)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Sathia, G. and Lalitha, S. (2000) Homocysteine and cardiovascular disease. Ind. J. Clin. Practice, 11/6, 59–65.Google Scholar
- 6.Singh, M. (2000) A case of acute myocardial infarction associated with hyperhomocysteinemia. J. Ind. Acad. Clin. Med. 3/3, 317–318.Google Scholar
- 7.Ueland, P., Refsum, H., Stabler, S., Malinow, M., Andresson, A. and Allen, R. (1993) Total homocysteine in plasma or serum: Methods and clinical applications. Clin. Chem. 39/9, 1764–1779.Google Scholar
- 8.Schreiner, R., Gobel-Schreiner, B. and Walch, S. (1995) Homocysteine: Biochemie and Klinische Bedeutung. Clinical Laboratory 41, 1007–1011.Google Scholar
- 9.Silkers, K.A. and Crit, C.R.C. (1997) Estimation of serum total cholesterol by enzymatic method. Rev. Clin. Lab. Sci. 8, 198.Google Scholar
- 11.Buccola, G. and David, M. (1973) Estimation of serum triglycerides. Clin. Chem. 19, 476.Google Scholar
- 12.Mc Neely, M.D. (1987) Folic acid. In: Presce, A.J., Kaplan, L.A., editors, Methods in clinical laboratory, St. Louis: CV Mosby, Page No. 539–542.Google Scholar
- 13.Chen, J.W., Sperling, M.I. and Heminger, L.A. (1987) Vitamin B12 In: Presce, A.J., Kaplan, L.A., editors, Methods in clinical laboratory, St. Louis: CV Mosby, Page No. 569–573Google Scholar
- 15.Cholesterol guidelines (2001) A call for more aggressive lipid lowering. Current Medical Scene, 16/3, 1.Google Scholar