Annual fallout of32Si,210Pb,22Na,35S and7Be in rains in India
- 47 Downloads
The concentration of radioisotopes7Be,35S were measured in Bombay since 1956 and22Na,210Pb,32Si since 1963. In Khandala and other stations such measurements have been made at irregular periods since 1961. In addition several measurements especially that of32Si were made in 1970. Data available todate from Indian stations is summarised and critically analysed.
We conclude that appreciable amounts of35S,22Na and32Si, over and above their production by cosmic rays, were produced during the high yield Russian tests as evidenced by their fallout between 1962–66. Based on the bomb produced excess the half period for their removal from the stratosphere is deduced to be less than 1 year. The ‘excess’ contribution of32Si due to bombs is, however, small; about 1% of its inventory in the oceans.
The present study shows that for stations where orogeny is the principal mechanism of precipitation, the annual fallout is independent of the annual rainfall.
KeywordsCosmic rays radioisotopes rainwater fallout
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bhandari N 1965 Ph.D. Thesis (Bombay University), p. 154Google Scholar
- Clausen H B 1973J. Glaciol. 12 411Google Scholar
- Dansgaard W, Clausen H B and Aarkrog A 1966J. Geophys. Res. 71 5474Google Scholar
- Fukuda K and Tsunogai S 1975Tellus 27 514Google Scholar
- Goel P S, Narasappaya N, Prabhakara C, Thor Rama and Zutshi P K 1959Tellus 11 91Google Scholar
- Gopalakrishnan S, Rangarajan C, Joshi L U, Kapoor D K and Eapen C D 1973 Bhabha Atomic Research Centre Report 679 pp. 124Google Scholar
- Health and Safety Laboratory 1971 Fallout Program Quarterly Summary Report HASL-245Google Scholar
- Jantsch K 1967Kernenergie 10 Heft3 89Google Scholar
- Joshi L U, Rangarajan C and Gopalakrishnan S 1969Tellus 21 107Google Scholar
- Kharkar D P, Lal D and Somayajulu B L K 1963 inRadioactive Dating (Vienna: IAEA) p. 175Google Scholar
- Krebs A and Stewart N G 1963 inNuclear radiation in geophysics, eds. H Isreal and A Krebs p 241Google Scholar
- Lal D, Nijampurkar V N and Somayajulu B L K 1970aGalathea Report (Danish Science Press)11 247Google Scholar
- Lal D, Nijampurkar V N and Rama 1970b inIsotope hydrology (Vienna: IAEA) p 847Google Scholar
- Lal D and Peters B 1967Handbuch der Physik 46 551Google Scholar
- Lal D and Rama 1966J. Geophys. Res. 71 2865Google Scholar
- Nijampurkar V N 1974 Ph.D. Thesis (Bombay University) p. 165Google Scholar
- Somayajulu B L K and Zutshi P K 1961X Cosmic Ray Symp. Madras Google Scholar