CERN document server: Document management system for grey literature in a networked environment
- 90 Downloads
In this paper we briefly described the current status of research in the field of digital libraries interoperability, mainly with respect to federated data processing such as permitted within the Open Archive Initiative framework. We then presented the CERN Document Server Software suite that is a free software package main-tained by CERN providing an online digital library solution for mid- to large-sized document repositories. The set of CDSware modules was described and the differ-ences with other existing tools briefly mentioned. Finally we have mentioned a typical usage statistics illustrating the scope of grey literature and networked con-ditions of the CERN Document Server.
We pointed out that the current trend in grey literature management goes toward institutional repositories build upon the distributed and federated model. Further research is going on within the CDS collaboration in this area, focused particularly on (i) semantic interoperability using ontologies in distributed and federated data processing and (ii) ranking technologies when searching grey literature in OAI compliant repositories.
KeywordsDigital Library Grey Literature Semantic Interoperability Institutional Repository Metadata Format
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- CERN Document Server Software. http://cdsware.cern.ch.Google Scholar
- Dallman, D. and Le Meur, J.-Y. Automatic Keywording of High-Energy Physics.4 th Intl Conference on Grey Literature: New Frontiers in Grey Literature GL99, Washington D.C., 1999.Google Scholar
- Dublin Core Metadata Initiative. http://www.dublincore.org.Google Scholar
- Marc XML metadata format. http://www.loc.gov/marc/marcxml.html.Google Scholar
- Open Archives Initiative—Protocol for Metadata Harvesting (OAI-PMH). http://www.openarchives.org/ OAI/openarchivesprotocol.html.Google Scholar
- Raez, A.M. Toward conceptual indexing using automatic assignment of descriptors.In: 2nd International Conference on Adaptive Hypermedia and Adaptive Web Based Systems. Personalization Techniques in Electronic Publishing on the Web: Trends and Perspectives, Málaga, Spain, 28 May 2002.Google Scholar
- Semantic Grid Initiative. http://www.semanticgrid.org.Google Scholar
- Semantic Web Initiative. http://www.w3.org/2001/sw.Google Scholar
- Van de Sompel, H. and Lagoze, C. The Santa Fe Convention of the Open Archives Initiative.D-LIB Magazine, Volume 6, Number 2, 2000.Google Scholar
- Vesely, M et al. Using Internet/Intranet Technologies in Library Automation.Thesis, University of Economics, Prague, Czech Republic, 2000.Google Scholar
- Vesely, M et al. Creating Open Digital Library Using XML: Implementation of the OAI-PMH Protocol at CERN.Intl Conference on Electronic Publishing, Elpub 2002, Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic.Google Scholar
- Vigen, J. et al. Link Managers for Grey Literature.4 th Intl Conference on Grey Literature: New Frontiers in Grey Literature GL99, Washington D.C., 1999.Google Scholar
- Zubair, M; Maly, K; Liu, X. Arc, the OAI service provider for Digital Library Federation.D-Lib Magazine, Volume 7, Number 4, 2001.Google Scholar