Isolation and genetic characterization of a fragile plant mutant in rice (itOryza sauva) L.
- 75 Downloads
The fragile rice mutant was isolated from an M2 population of indica variety Shuang Ke Zao (SKZ) treated with γ-rays, and designated asfpl (fragile plant 1) because of its fragile leaves and culms. To mapFP1 locus, an F2 mapping population was derived from a cross between thefpl and C-bao, a polymorphic japonic variety. The primary mapping result places theFP1 locus in an interval between two molecular markers, microsatellite marker RM16 (3.1 cM proximal toFP1) and STS marker G144a (9.1 cM distal toFP1) in the centromere region of chromosome 3. A CAPS marker C524a was further developed between RM16 and G144a, with 0.4 cM genetic distances to theFP1 locus, providing a practical starting point for constructing a BAC contig spanning theFP1 locus and cloning thefpl gene. Allelism test demonstratedthat fpl is allelic tobcl, a fragile rice mutant reported previously.
KeywordsOryza sativa L fragile plant locus (fpl) molecularmarkers
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Yoshiaki, H., Yano, M., Ayahiko, S. et al., A high density rice genetic linkage map with 2275 markers using a single F2 population, Genetics, 1998, 148: 479.Google Scholar
- 7.Kinoshita, T., Linkage mapping using mutant genes in rice, Rice Genetics Newsletter, 1998, 15: 13.Google Scholar
- 14.Panaud, O., Chen, X., McCouch, S. R., Development of microsatellite markers and characterization of simple sequence length polymorphism (SSLP) in rice (Oryza sativa L.), Mol. Gen. Genet., 1996, 252: 597.Google Scholar
- 20.Tayor, N. G., Scheible, W. R., Culter, S. et al., Theirregular xyIem3 locus ofArabidopsis encodes a cellulose synthase required for secondary cell wall synthesis, Plant Cell, 1999, 11: 769.Google Scholar
- 21.Tayor, N. G., Laurie, S., Turner, S. R., Multiple cellulose synthase catalytic subunits are required for cellulose synthesis inArabidopsis, Plant Cell, 2000, 12: 2529.Google Scholar