Advanced boundary conditions for eigenmode expansion models
In order to realise the full potential of eigenmode expansion models, advanced boundary conditions are required that can absorb the radiation impinging on the walls of the discretisation volume. In this paper, we will discuss and compare a number of these boundary conditions, like perfectly matched layers (PMLs), open (leaky mode) boundary conditions and transparent boundary conditions (TBCs). We will also introduce the case of PMLs with infinite absorption and discuss its relation to leaky mode expansion, leading to a deeper insight into the physics of PML.
Key wordsabsorbing boundary conditions eigenmode expansion leaky modes optical modelling perfectly matched layers transparent boundary conditions
- Bienstman, P. and R. Baets. 2001,Opt. Quant. Electron accepted for publication.Google Scholar
- Haes, J. Study of beam properties of laser diodes and design of integrated beam expansion structures. Ph.D. Thesis, Ghent University, 1996.Google Scholar
- Lee, D.L. Electromagnetic Principles of Integrated Optics, John Wiley and sons, New York, 1986.Google Scholar
- Leontovich, M. Investigations of Radiowave Propagation, Part II. Printing house of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, 1948.Google Scholar
- Snyder, A. and J. Love.Optical Waveguide Theory. Chapman and Hall, London, 1983.Google Scholar