Effect of Tween 80 on alkaloid-producing cultures ofClaviceps paspali
- 29 Downloads
Addition of Tween 80 to submerged cultures ofClaviceps paspali (Stevens and Hall) growing in a simple defined medium increased biomass formation and caused a temporary change in alkaloid synthesis intensity. The Tween-supplemented culture reached maximal alkaloid yields four days earlier than the control. The shift of alkaloid production was associated with a shift of organic acids and amino acids in the cell-pool. Thus the maximal formation of alkaloids was characterized by a decrease in the amount of citric acid, by the disappearance of succinic, fumaric and oxaloacetic acids and by increased accumulation of methionine, cysteine, alanine and histidine. The slow alkaloid synthesis was accompanied by a relatively high content of citric and succinic acids in the cell-pool and by the absence of methionine. The data are consistent with the hypothesis that ergot alkaloids participate in the regulation of the metabolism of cultures.
KeywordsAlkaloid Succinic Acid Fumaric Acid Submerged Culture Ergot Alkaloid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Areamone, F., Chain, E. B., Ferretti, A., Minghetti, A., Pennella, P., Tonolo, A., Vero, L.:Production of a new lysergic acid derivative in submerged culture by a strain of Claviceps paspali Stevens & Hall. Proc. roy. Soc. (London) Ser. B 155: 26, 1961.Google Scholar
- Groeger, D., Tyler, V. E.:Alkaloid production by Claviceps paspali in submerged culture. Lloydia 16: 174, 1963.Google Scholar
- Řeháček, Z., Kozová, J., Řičicová, A., Kašlík, J., Sajdl, P., Švare, S., Basappa, S. C.:Endogenous tryptophan role during submerged fermentation of ergot alkaloids. Fol. microbiol. 16: 35, 1971a.Google Scholar
- Řeháček, Z., Kozová, J., Sajdl, P., Malik, K. A.:The role of endogenous tryptophan and adenosine-5′-triphosphate in physiology of ergot alkaloid formation. (In: Vaněk, Z., Hoštálek, Z., Cudlín, J. (Eds.): Genetics of Industrial Microorganisms, 1971b.—In press.Google Scholar
- Roeder, K., Mutschler, E., Rochelmeyer, H.:Über die quantitative Bestimmung der Mutterkornalkaloide nach dünnschichtchromatographischer Trennung. Pharm. Acta Helv. 42: 407, 1967.Google Scholar