Getting ‘holistic’ about land rehabilitation in hot arid regions
- 37 Downloads
The paper describes Western Australian examples and causes of land degradation. It outlines shortcomings in the methodologies used to rehabilitate these areas. From this a protocol is suggested for an ‘holistic’ approach to land rehabilitation.
Keywordsvegetation rehabilitation arid regions community participation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Payne, A. L., Kubicki, A., Wilcox, D. G. et al., A report on erosion and range condition in the West Kimberley area of WA, Technical Bulletin 42, WAD A, Perth, 1979.Google Scholar
- 2.Payne, A. L., Hacker, R. B., Pastoral land degradation-the Fitzroy as a case study, J. Agric. W. Aust., 1983, Vol. 2 (2).Google Scholar
- 3.Pringle, H. J. R., Resource condition (eds. Pringle, H. J. R., Van Vreeswyk, A. M. E., Gilligan, S. A.), An inventory and condition survey of rangelands in the north-eastern Goldfields, Western Australia, Technical Bulletin 87, Agriculture Western Australia, Perth, 1994.Google Scholar
- 4.State Salinity Council, ‘The Salinity Strategy March 2000’ Government of Western Australia, Perth, 2000.Google Scholar
- 6.Kata, P. Ord River sediment study 1978, Water Resources Section, Public Works Dept. WA, Perth, 1978.Google Scholar
- 7.Fitzgerald, K., The Ord River catchment regeneration project Bulletin 3599. DAWA, Perth, 1981.Google Scholar
- 8.Anon, Deposition of sediment in Lake Argyle, Report WTGE 0284, Water Authority of WA, Perth, 1987.Google Scholar
- 9.Leys, J. F., An evaluation of the effectiveness of revegetation in controlling runoiff rates and suspended sediment load in the Hardman Basin (N.T.) of the Ord River catchment’ Honours thesis, University of New England, N.S.W., 1980.Google Scholar
- 11.Robinson, B. D. F., Total grazing control, In proceedings: Goldfields International Conference on Arid Landcare, Kalgoorlie Arid Landcare Inc, Kalgoorlie, 1993.Google Scholar
- 12.Goddard, B. J., Humphry, M. G., Carter, D. J., Wind erosion in the Jerramungup area 1980–81, Technical Report Div. of Resource Management, WA Department of Agriculture, Perth, 1982.Google Scholar