Geochemical analyses of termite mounds as a prospecting tool for tin deposits in Bastar, MP—a preliminary study
Tin deposits in the form of cassiterite occur in precambrian zoned pegmatite bodies intrusive into Archean metabasic and metasedimentary rocks in Bastar, MP. The associated economic minerals include columbite-tantalite, lepidolite, beryl etc. As a major part of the area is covered by a thick overburden, termite mounds have been used as geochemical sampling medium in view of their significant potentiality in tropical areas with overburden, and also because of the low cost and ease of sampling. Though many elements have been used as pathfinders for tin, tin itself acts as the best indicator of its deposits.
The present work has given encouraging results, and therefore can be applied for tin prospecting and possibly for heavy metals like Nb, Ta, W, etc., in this and other areas where termite mounds have a good spatial distribution.
KeywordsGeochemical prospecting termite mounds Bastar tin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allcott G H and Lakin H W 1979The homogeneity of six geochemical exploration reference samples Google Scholar
- Boyle R W 1974Geol. Surv. of Canada Paper 74 Google Scholar
- Brooks R R 1972Geobotany and biogeochemistry in mineral exploration (New York: Harper and Row) p. 290Google Scholar
- Crookshank H 1963Mem. Geol. Surv. India 87 149Google Scholar
- Deshpande M L 1976Indian Min. 30 67Google Scholar
- Deshpande M L and Bose S K 1979Indian Minerals 33 1Google Scholar
- Deshpande M L, Murti S K, Jaiswar H P and Jesani R S 1981Geol. Surv. India Spec. Publ. No. 3, 195Google Scholar
- Ghosh P K 1941Rec. Geol. Surv. India, No. 75 Proof paper No. 15Google Scholar
- Levinson A A 1974Introduction to exploration geochemistry (Illinois: Applied Publ.) p. 924Google Scholar
- Lukashev K I 1970Lithology and geochemistry of the weathering crust (Jerusalem: Israel Prog. for scientific translations) p. 191Google Scholar
- Ramaswami C, Deshpande M L, Murti S K, Jaiswar H P and Jesani R S 1981Geol. Surv. India, Spec. Publ. No. 3, p. 135Google Scholar
- Schuiling R D 1983Geol. Soc. India 24 101Google Scholar
- Taylor R G 1979Geology of tin deposits; Elsevier, p. 543Google Scholar
- Yim W W S 1979Geol. Soc. Malaysia Bull No.11 375Google Scholar