Effect of method of irrigation on the total glycoalkaloid and nitrate-nitrogen content of Rosa potatoes
- 16 Downloads
The effect of two irrigation methods, microjet mist and impact sprinkler, on the total glycoalkaloid (TGA) and nitrate-nitrogen (NO3−N) content ofSolanum tuberosum L. cv. Rosa was investigated. Potatoes irrigated by microjet mist were significantly higher in TGA and lower in NO3−N content than control potatoes receiving no irrigation. The impact sprinkler method produced potatoes significantly higher in NO3−N than controls. The TGA content of potatoes irrigated by the sprinkler method was not significantly different from controls. Mist-irrigated potatoes were higher in TGA and lower in NO3−N content than sprinkler-irrigated potatoes.
Key WordsSolanum tuberosum L quality natural toxicants microjet mist impact sprinkler
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Borner, A. and H. Mattis. 1924. The solanine content of potatoes. Chemical Abstr 18:2047–2048.Google Scholar
- 4.Carter, J.N. and S.M. Bosma. 1974. Effect of fertilizer and irrigation on nitrate-nitrogen and total nitrogen in potato tubers. Agron J 66:263–266.Google Scholar
- 7.Mahbonbi, E., J. Knet, P.J. Cook, N.E. Day, P. Ghadiran and S. Salmasizadeh. 1973. Oesophageal cancer studies in the Caspian littoral of Iran. Brit J Cancer 28:197–214.Google Scholar
- 9.Morris, S.C. and T.H. Lee. 1984. The toxicity and teratogenicity of Solanaceae gly- coalkaloids, particularly those of the potato (Solanum tuberosum): A review. Food Tech Australia 36:118–124.Google Scholar
- 10.Motes, J.E. and J.K. Greig. 1970. Specific gravity, potato chip color, and tuber mineral content as affected by soil moisture and harvest dates. Am Potato J 47:413–418.Google Scholar
- 11.Ponnampalam, R. 1985. Chemical composition of potatoes (Solanum tuberosum) as related to magnesium fertilization, application of auxin, sprout inhibitors, and cooking meth- ods. Ph.D. thesis, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY.Google Scholar
- 14.Sinden, S.L. and R.C. Webb. 1974. Effect of environment on glycoalkaloid content of six potato varieties at 39 locations. USDA Tech Bull No 1472.Google Scholar
- 15.Steel, R.G.B. and J.H. Torrie. 1980. “Principles and Procedures of statistics.” McGraw- Hill Book Co., Inc., New York, NY.Google Scholar