Simulation and sensitivity study of potato flake food processing
We made a sensitivity study of the potato flake process using the ERRC Food Process Simulator computer program with cost as the primary objective function. The study showed that labor was the largest component of the processing cost followed by capital related expenses. Pilot plant operation demonstrated the feasibility of reducing labor requirements. Capital related expenses could be minimized by using four drum dryers to more closely match the through put of the rest of the process. In addition, the drum dryers should be run as close to 8% moisture as possible without exceeding 8% to optimize the yield of finished product. This study demonstrates the feasibility of using the ERRC Food Process Simulator to do a sensitivity study of potato processing.
Additional Key WordsModelling blanch cook drum dry systems computer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Wegstein, J.H. 1958. Accelerating convergence of interaction processes. Communications of the Association for Computing Machinery 1:6–9.Google Scholar
- 3.Kozempel, M.F., J.F. Sullivan and J.C. Craig, Jr. 1981. Model for blanching potatoes and other vegetables. Lebensm-Wiss u-Technol 14:331–335.Google Scholar
- 4.Kozempel, M.F., J.F. Sullivan and J.C. Craig, Jr. 1983. Effect of temperature on the model for blanching potatoes and other vegetables. Lebensm-Wiss u-Technol 16:338–342.Google Scholar
- 5.Kozempel, M.F., J.F. Sullivan and J.C. Craig, Jr. 1985. Modelling and simulating commercial hot water blanching of potatoes. Am Potato J 62:69–82.Google Scholar
- 7.Kozempel, M.F., J.F. Sullivan, J.C. Craig, Jr. and W.K. Heiland. 1986. Drum Drying potato flakes. A predictive model. Lebensm-Wiss u-Technol 19:193–197.Google Scholar
- 8.Kozempel, M.F., P.M. Tomasula, J.C. Craig, Jr. and M.J. Kurantz. 1990. Effect of potato composition on drum dryer capacity. Lebensm-Wiss u-Technol 23:312–316.Google Scholar
- 9.Anon. Economic Indicators. 1989. Chemical Engineering 96(8):206.Google Scholar
- 10.Talburt, W.F. and O. Smith. 1987. Potato Processing, 4th Ed., Van Nostrand Reinhold Co., New York, NY p. 23.Google Scholar