Studies on the constituents and culture of Korean basidiomycetes
To develop potent antitumor polysaccharides from higher fungi of Korea the alcohol precipitated polysaccharides, which were obtained from hot water extracts of shake-cultured mycelia of eight species of basidiomycetes, were subjected to antitumor screening tests, using sarcoma 180 as a tumor cell. When administeredi.p., at the dose level of 20mg/kg/day for ten days into the mice which were implanted with 1×106 cells of sarcoma 180 twenty-four hour before the start of polysaccharide injection, the polysaccharides ofPluteus cervinus ISA-Pc-1004,Pleurotus pulmonarius, Hydnum repandum ISA-Hr-1006, andLaccaria laccata ISA-L1-1008 respectively showed inhibition ratios of 62.0%, 51.7%, 64.8%, and 57.8%. They were selected for further study, while those ofPanellus serotina ISA-Ps-1012,Laccaria amethystina ISA-La-1001,Pholiota adiposa ISA-Pa-1010, andLepista sp. ISA-Ls-1007 respectively showed inhibition ratios of −9.3%, 25.3%, 27.3%, and 33.0%.
KeywordsBasidiomycetes Antitumor activity against sarcoma 180 Polysaccharides Pluteus cervinus Pleurotus pulmonarius Hydnum repandum Laccaria laccata Panellus serotina Laccaria amethystina. Pholiota adiposa Lepista sp
- 2).Fujii, T., Maeda, H., Suzuki, F., and Ishida, N., Isolation and characterization of a new antitumor polysaccharide, KS-2, extracted from culture mycelia ofLentinus edodes.J. Antibiotics 31, 1079 (1978).Google Scholar
- 4).Tsugagoshi, S., and Ohashi, F., Protein-bound polysacharide preparation, PSK, effective against mouse sarcoma 180 and rat ascites hepatoma AH-13 by oral use.Gann,65, 557 (1974).Google Scholar
- 6).Kim, B.K., Chung, H.S., Chung, K.S., and Yang, M.S., Studies on the antineoplastic components of Korean basidiomycetes.Kor. J. Mycol. 8 107 (1980).Google Scholar
- 7).Lee, S.A., Chung, K.S., Shim, M.J., Choi, E.C., and Kim, B.K., Studies on the Antitumor components of Korean basidiomycetes (II). Antitumor components ofSchizophyllum commune andAuricularia auricula-judae.Kor. J. Mycol. 9 25 (1981).Google Scholar
- 8).Shim, M.J., Studies on the constituents and culture of the higher fungi of Korea.Kor. J. Mycol. 9, 49 (1981).Google Scholar