The effect of size and spacing of seed pieces on the yield and grade of white rose potatoes in Kern County, California
- 32 Downloads
Both total yield and, to a somewhat lesser degree, yield of U. S. No. 1 tubers were increased by increasing the quantity of seed potatoes planted per acre—through closer spacing and/or larger seed pieces. The rate of yield increase declined with each increment of seed potatoes. Planting more than approximately 16 sacks of seed potatoes per acre did not increase the yield sufficiently to justify the greater expense.
Large seed pieces spaced at 71/2-inch intervals produced the highest proportion of small tubers. Potato size was determined more by spacing than by seed piece size.
The yield of “rough” tubers (misshapen, growth-cracked, and second-growth tubers) was slightly and inconsistently affected by size or spacing of seed pieces.
KeywordsAMERICAN Potato Journal Seed Size Seed Potato Seed Piece Seed Tuber
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bates, G. H. 1935. A study of factors influencing the size of potato tubers. Jour. Agr. Sci. 25: 297–315.Google Scholar
- 2.Chucka, J. A., A. Hawkins, B. E. Brown, and F. H. Steinmetz. 1945. Size of whole seed and cut seed and spacing in relation to potato yields. Maine Agr. Exp. Sta. Bull. 439.Google Scholar
- 3.Singh, B. N., and S. M. Wakankar. 1943. The effect of spacing and seed size on yield of potatoes. Jour. Amer. Soc. Agron. 35: 613–616.Google Scholar
- 5.Starring, C. C. 1928. Controlling size of potato tubers. Proc. Potato Assn. Amer. 15: 235–245.Google Scholar
- 6.Stuart, W., P. M. Lombard, M. C. Vosbury, G. Corder, W. C. Edmundson, C. F. Clark, and G. W. Dewey. 1924. Size of potato sets: Comparisons of whole and cut seed. U.S.D.A. Bull. 1248.Google Scholar
- 7.Terman, G. L., C. E. Cunningham, M. G. Goven, and R. A. Struchtemeyer. 1952. Rate of planting and thiourea treatment for seed potatoes in Maine. Me. Agr. Exp. Sta. Bull. 505.Google Scholar
- 8.Wakankar, S. M. 1944. Influence of size of seed piece upon yield of potatoes. Jour. Amer. Soc. Agron. 36: 32–36.Google Scholar